10 Rules for Guaranteed Strength and Size: Assistance/Pulling Volume?

Fantastic article.
After I ride out the benefits of my current program, I am going to go this route.
Love the rep ranges. 6-8, 4-6, 2-4 for the main lift. It does seem like you can ride this for quite a while.
For exercise 2, would y’all keep in the same rep range? Maybe only what, 2 sets?

For exercise 3, include both vertical and horizontal, again, 2 work sets each? Do an elbows flared horizontal pull with an elbows in front vertical (narrow pull), Day 2 elbows down, (sagittal plane?) with an elbows wide vertical pull (wide grip) , days 3 and 4 the same but switch the order?

I personally recommend 4 if using the double/triple progression model.

I like to invest the greatest amount of volume and effort on those first two exercises. In fact, on some days that might be all that I do (if I didn’t sleep well, or had a rough day).

1 Like
  1. For exercise 2 do you always choose an exercise to attack a weak point or do you sometimes choose an overload movement to handle more weight? (Also do you have any lists on examples of exercises to use here based on a weak point? Ex: weak off the chest - use incline…etc)

2. For isolation at the end, would 3 sets to fauilure in 8 to 12 rep range be good or even just a set or 2 of rest pause to get a pump in a lagging muscle?

Thank u in advance

Personally, I’d say the weakness training ie weak off chest etc is kind of based on the individual. For example the dip used to be an amazing exercise for me, for reps and for heavy work too. Last time I done them they twinged my right shoulder, about 2 months ago, hasn’t been perfect since. Incline presses can be a hit or miss for me, but spoto presses always add to my bench. Just an example to make a point.

To add to your second one, I have been quite interested to introduce this: The Hypertrophy Bomb: One Set for Muscle Growth
into my training for accessory/isolation work. I’d say in the case of the above program it’d be good for pulling too if upperback/lats are a weakness. But given the demands of this program with the first 2 exercises in each workout, it’d probably be best to do it with isolation movements, or at least movements that have a low negative impact on recovery. Maybe also only for the weakest link, once or twice per 4 training days.

1 Like

See it this way: the best assistance exercises are those that will increase performance in the main lift the most. At first, addressing a weakness is the fastest way to make the main lift progress. But once you have improved your weakness, overload movements are absolutely a valid strategy to continue to make the main lift go up. It’s, in fact, the approach I use with powerlifters.

1 Like

Both are perfectly fine. Pretty much what I normally do.

1 Like

@Christian_Thibaudeau do You consider some basic guideline for whole body EOD workout for naturals?
Basicly I plan to do it this way:

1Day: fbw contrecting focus (double progression 4 sets 4-6 reps)
2Day: running
3Day: fbw isomwtric focus 3-4 sets with pause
4Day:off
5Day: fbw eccentric focus 3-4 sets with slow eccentric
6Day: GAP + intervals
6Day:off

Check the post on Thibarmy, “The Main Purpose Of Client Assessment: Exercise Selection”.

Under the header “The Workout Is An Assessment”

Thanks for a great article … maybe just a quick clarification … I purchased “the best workout plan for natural lifters” and its a 6x a week protocol. here you are suggesting 3-4 x a week … i know frequency has been talked about a lot… would your suggestion of training every other day apply to a template like “the best workout plan for natural lifters”?
thanks

The best natural lifter uses a different approach to fatigue management: super low volume

Don’t combine both approaches. EOD with the Best Workout for Natural lifters is not enough stimulation

1 Like

A few weeks ago I asked you about combining the BWOPNL with EOD training and you said that it would work if I increased the work sets to 3 sets. I just started that program modification today. Based on what you stated above, is this still a viable approach to training this way.

Yes. Going up to 3 sets instead of 1 triples the volume. It is thus not the same approach anymore

1 Like

Awesome, thank you coach!

Anyone going to give this a go?
I am struggling to pick which multijoint assistance exercises to choose.

I am also worried about my shoulder. If I drastically increase my pressing, what I think is my biceps tendon gets very angry with me.
Wondering if I should do the 4 sets, lower load, slowly increase according the the progression used in the article or start with 2 sets, maybe for like two weeks, then 3 for 2 weeks, then 4 sets on the 4th and beyond.

Thank you coach! One last question on this if I may…
Would the isolation exercises also need 3 working set, or would 2 working sets be sufficient volume?
Thanks again

It can be 1 to 3 depending on the effort/intensity level of the set.