T Nation

10 Nutrition Myths?

Ok, they are right about the eggs, but how could any trainer with any REAL experience say that you don’t need protein to build muscle!!!

Quackery!

[quote]Curzon wrote:
Ok, they are right about the eggs, but how could any trainer with any REAL experience say that you don’t need protein to build muscle!!!

Quackery!

[/quote]

The full statement is this:

…and it is absolutely correct. Consuming more protein but not lifting balls to the wall will not magically put muscle on you. Some of the newbies here could learn from that. Also, when taking in more calories than needed to maintain your weight, protein intake becomes LESS important than when you are dieting and eating less.

You’re not really this stupid are you? Not only does it use the word “extra”, its says:
“consuming extra protein does nothing to bulk up muscle unless you are also doing significant weight training at the same time.”

"4. Consuming extra protein is necessary to build muscle mass. Contrary to claims of some protein supplement companies, consuming extra protein does nothing to bulk up muscle unless you are also doing significant weight training at the same time. Even then the increased requirement can easily come from food. A potential problem with supplements is the body has to work overtime to get rid of excess protein, and can become distressed as a result. "

Read the whole thing. I agree with it. If you’re sitting around all day and slamming whey shakes every two hours, you’re not going to get bigger. The only thing is the first sentence is a little misleading. What’s “extra”? That could mean above average, above what you were consuming before or above what they consider ideal. Most sedentary Americans could gain muscle without increasing protein, but, they would gain muscle faster by also increasing protein intake.

I think number 2 however, is pretty ridiculous.

“2. Eating immediately after a workout will improve recovery. Endurance athletes need to take in carbohydrates immediately after a workout to replace glycogen stores, and a small amount of protein with the drink enhances the effect. Drinking low-fat chocolate milk or a carbohydrate drink, like Gatorade, is better for the body, as they replace glycogen stores lost during exercise. Protein is not going to help build muscle, so strength athletes do not need to eat immediately following their workout.”

First, eating and drinking are basically the same thing. If I sit down and eat a bowl of fruit, a cup of yogurt and a protein bar, I’m eating. If I throw them in a blender I’ll be drinking them. Liquified food will be digested a little faster, but not enough to make it a black and white issue like this paragraph did.
Second, eating protein after exercise will help reduce muscle breakdown. This is every bit as important as muscle growth. Keeping a pound of muscle from being broken down is every bit as important and effective as building a pound.

What the hell’s up with #2 though? I’m sure everyone here would be shocked to learn that Surge isn’t any more effective than sugar water.

[quote]wfifer wrote:
What the hell’s up with #2 though? I’m sure everyone here would be shocked to learn that Surge isn’t any more effective than sugar water. [/quote]

Shocked? Maybe you would be shocked to learn that not all of us believe that Surge is the key ingredient missing from our diet. My main focus when GAINING after training is getting some carbs in. My secondary focus is protein. If I can get them together in one drink, fine, but I sure won’t lose any sleep over drinking Gatorade or anything else with carbs in it and then eating some protein a little later.

Woohoo! We can now all increase our egg consumption to 1 per day without fear!

[quote]Professor X wrote:
wfifer wrote:
What the hell’s up with #2 though? I’m sure everyone here would be shocked to learn that Surge isn’t any more effective than sugar water.

Shocked? Maybe you would be shocked to learn that not all of us believe that Surge is the key ingredient missing from our diet. My main focus when GAINING after training is getting some carbs in. My secondary focus is protein. If I can get them together in one drink, fine, but I sure won’t lose any sleep over drinking Gatorade or anything else with carbs in it and then eating some protein a little later.[/quote]

I’m surprised that post was let thru…

wfifer wrote:

Shocked? Maybe you would be shocked to learn that not all of us believe that Surge is the key ingredient missing from our diet. My main focus when GAINING after training is getting some carbs in. My secondary focus is protein. If I can get them together in one drink, fine, but I sure won’t lose any sleep over drinking Gatorade or anything else with carbs in it and then eating some protein a little later.[/quote]

LOL. I actually use Surge and like it, but don’t freak out when I don’t have it. It’s an easy way to get protein and carbs. (Pretty cheap, too, compared to how much Gatorade costs in my neck of the woods.)

Still, I’d be curious to see if people who fawn over the stuff even look like they lift. A post-workout drink is important; what the PWO drink is, is less important.

I think this is something you figure out after a year of lifting.

… Also, when taking in more calories than needed to maintain your weight, protein intake becomes LESS important than when you are dieting and eating less.[/quote]

Great point.

[quote]Hanley wrote:
Professor X wrote:
wfifer wrote:

Shocked? Maybe you would be shocked to learn that not all of us believe that Surge is the key ingredient missing from our diet. My main focus when GAINING after training is getting some carbs in. My secondary focus is protein. If I can get them together in one drink, fine, but I sure won’t lose any sleep over drinking Gatorade or anything else with carbs in it and then eating some protein a little later.

I’m surprised that post was let thru…
[/quote]

I am not. Biotest lets plenty of posts like this through. They seem to encourage legitimate discussion of their products and not just fanboyism.

This is what makes me a fanboy of Biotest as a company. :slight_smile:

[quote]allNatural wrote:
You’re not really this stupid are you? Not only does it use the word “extra”, its says:
“consuming extra protein does nothing to bulk up muscle unless you are also doing significant weight training at the same time.”[/quote]

Dude, this clown is that stupid. I’ll bet he/she/it was surely blinded by your steak, eggs, + broccoli epiphany.

OMG! Steak, eggs, + broccoli, that’s brilliant, but how am I supposed to make room for that when I have more #'s of protein powder in my kitchen than I have lean muscle?

BTW, what the fuck is Surge? Is that something sold here in the T-Nation store? Ah, fuck, I’ll bet it is, don’t bother qualifying that with an answer. That explains the product name dropping in some articles.

[quote]Zap Branigan wrote:

I am not. Biotest lets plenty of posts like this through. They seem to encourage legitimate discussion of their products and not just fanboyism.

This is what makes me a fanboy of Biotest as a company. :slight_smile: [/quote]

I agree. The fact that they allow criticism and “unfavorable” opinions somehow make me trust them more.

But I’m sure that’s just a marketing ploy! :slight_smile: