10 Months at the Gym and I'm Failing HARD

I think part of the issue is that he “expected” to get stronger after beginning resistance training. If the strength numbers go up, there is a measure of progress.

With that in mind, I wouldn’t have started with a once a week per body part split routine. I’d start with a total body or 2 way split hitting 6-8 big exercises each 2-3 times a week. To the O.P., what are your 6-8 big exercises and what kind of weights are you moving for what reps?

1 Like

You are training 6 days a week on a 6 way split. You are doing 3 exercises for small bodyparts and 4 exercises for large ones. So you are doing say 4 chest exercises, and 3 shoulder and 3 triceps exercises. That sounds like a little money and a ton of fluff.

What are your main big exercises for your chest, shoulders, legs, back, biceps, triceps? Are we looking at squats, dips, pulldowns, presses, deadlifts etc?

Since you have tried everything, have you tried 5 x 5 using only 3 big exercises per workout? Anything using 3 big exercises per workout?

For the most part? Think that’s good enough, cowboy?

So you have a cheat meal daily? Think that’s good enough, sports fan?

so you have absolutely no clue how many calories you’re eating in a day. Think that’s good enough, champ?

so you’re avoiding it because it’s hard. Think that’s good enough, slugger?

1 Like

Tons of great advice from everyone so far, so I’ll just chime in with a snippet.

Working this much on top of training 6 days a week is unnecessary and counterproductive. You’ll be fine sticking with a well-designed 3 day a week program like this Chad Waterbury program. That’s going to help on several levels - reducing physical and mental stress, freeing up some time for meal prep, and getting you on track with a training plan that actually works.

What and why?

2 Likes

i really shouldn’t but the whole cowboy, slugger, sports fan parts really gave me a chuckle

3 Likes