10 Month Plateau! What's Going On?

Hey guys! The problem that I have been struggling with is that I have hit a serious plateau with weight loss after a drop from 200lbs to 160lbs; I have not dropped a pound in almost a year now. Unfortunately I have gone up about 7 pounds from 160lbs to as of today 166lbs.

I have been at a constant battle with myself and it needs to end today. I am willing to do anything to make a change to my body. I know that nutrition is the foundation of weight loss and I eat very clean meals. I track my meals everyday but need to start to combine my intake of foods depending on the exercises that I will be doing that day.

On average my calorie intake is 1270. I dorm at school and have to use food at the dining hall, so I tend to cut meals in half and carry around almonds for my snacks.

As for workouts I have started to work on my running 3miles in 27.44 minutes and for only 1 mile 8.00 minutes, I enjoy running and want to get even better at it. I am also jumping rope and doing plyometrics I use to do a lot more lifting last summer throughout the winter and now I wanted to change it up to see if anything happens this semester.

Exercise one:
Mile run best time
Complex of plyometrics
Jump rope
Walk on incline

Exercise two:
Distance run best time
Complex with weights (squats, bent over rows, lunges, side bends, arm raises)
Jump rope

Exercise three:
Run
Complex of plyometrics
Dead lifts 30-25-20-25
Lunges
Pull-downs

If anyone could help me and straighten out what I am doing wrong, I am looking for new ideas and things to kick my butt. I stand 5ft 7in and currently 166lbs I carry most of my fat in hips, back and belly. My goal is to cut down to 150lbs. I am more than willing to give you any more information if it helps. Thank you for your time.

I’m not an expert. But I would say that you need to take in MORE calories. Your body is probably holding on to what it has because you give it so little. Try to eat every three hours. Lots of protein, veggies, and “the right” carbs. Lifting heavy weights will increase your metabolism as well.

[quote]kpsnap wrote:
I’m not an expert. But I would say that you need to take in MORE calories. Your body is probably holding on to what it has because you give it so little. Try to eat every three hours. Lots of protein, veggies, and “the right” carbs. Lifting heavy weights will increase your metabolism as well.[/quote]

I agree - i think you should be eating more to start with, especially given the high intensity nature of a lot of your exercises. Running (pb’s), plyometrics, complexes.

Take a break from the high intensity for a month and just concentrate on some solid lifting. All the high impact running will chow your muscle and if your eating too little your body will become catabolic and actually burn of your muscle rather than fat.

Build some strength up again, increase the protein and calories then resume the high intensity mixed with some low intensity. Don;t always run for a PB, your body needs to take it easy as well, the PB’s will come naturally.

Plus, if you don’t stress about the weight, it will come off - been through those plateaus and when you stress about it the plateau sticks!
Concentrate more on Body fat% and the weight won’t really matter and will take care of itself.

your stats arent that different from mine (ht/wt)… photos would help, as we’re never as objective with ourselves as we are with someone else.

posting your diet would help, although the idea of 1270 kcal makes me feel a little sick.

how much fat are you eating, besides the almonds? from what sources? those distance runs are not ideal for fat loss, although it’s good you’re doing them because you love them rather than with the primary goals of fat loss. sucks that those 2 ideas conflict.

maybe change up exercise one to a HIIT session, followed by your walk. If you have a track, that would be the better choice to doing it on a treadmill or any other machine. Sprint 30 yards and walk 30, x10 sprints. (doesnt have to be 30 and 30, i just threw that out there.)

Thanks for the help I am trying to figure out a new routine today and better meal plans…

So far I got…
(Did this one this afternoon)
Mon:
Walking Lunges with small bar 5x12 20lbs 25lbs 30lbs 40lbs
Squat to military press 5x15 45lbs 65lbs 70lbs
burn-out military press with just bar
hanging leg raises
jump squats
jump rope

Tonight 60min incline walking

Going to try to get in a 80%P 10%C 10%F I am not sure how many cals. that will give me??? But I gotta eat more!

Tues:
HIIT 45 MINS
Not sure what type of lifting should be with that

Wens:
Mile Run fastest time
Complex
Jump rope
Incline walking