10 Miles Back Again

Work for today:
50 burpees.

5 Likes

Time for 100 mate ?

Probably, as one off workouts sometime. 50 is fine for a daily habit though. Iā€™ll probably progress to navy seals or 2 pumps rather than just doing more.

2 Likes

I was thinking - when are you going to push the boat out and do 60?

Spend a few weeks there then push on again.

Daily gambits like this one can be a great way to do incredible things. The first time I got any chest development was by doing 100 press ups a day for about 6 weeks. I remember the realisation actually.

2 Likes

Fine, Iā€™ll start adding some navy seals in, but if I start getting better results, youā€™ve only got yourselves to blame.

3 Likes

Work for this morning:
Press:
5 x 40kg
3 x 50kg
3 x 60kg
1 x 65kg
2 x 70kg

Squat:
5 x 70kg
5 x 80kg
5 x 90kg
5 x 100kg (5 jumps)
5 x 105kg (5 jumps)
5 x 110kg (5 jumps)
5 x 115kg (5 jumps)
5 x 100kg (5 jumps)
5 x 105kg (5 jumps)
5 x 110kg (5 jumps)

50 pull ups throughout

Notes:

• Made a deal with myself that if I could double 70kg, Iā€™d call it there. If I missed, I was going all the way up to 6 singles to get my PR. Worked like a charm, felt as comfortable as my recent singles have, if not more comfy.
  • Those squats absolutely suck. It looks so easy on paper, but itā€™s far from it. Maybe my mind wasnā€™t in the right place today or something, but these sucked. Iā€™ve said this before but this is the last time I take advice from @T3hPwnisher.
  • Also worth mentioning: Lower back is feeling really cranky with these squats so will try and get some hyperextensions done on none lifting days.
8 Likes

&

Very happy for you. Your press has been stuck for a while right? The idea of just making 70kg a ā€œthingā€ is working out. Soon youā€™ll be pumping out sets of 5.

3 Likes

Over a year, technically. I first pressed 70kg around this time last year. This approach is so simple, and so low volume, but absolutely working.

2 Likes

I can personally vouch for 100 done 10 emom being a disgusting way to get this done - go for it @dagill2!

2 Likes

I love having you test pilot all these Dan John programs. Iā€™ve got so many on my bucket list. And you are fantastic at just getting after it as well. So donā€™t sweat it: squats ALWAYS suck, haha.

1 Like

Impossible not to notice, it does not appear stuck any longer. You have frequently singled 70 over the past many weeks, and now a double. I donā€™t recall you hitting it so often last year.

Ready for 72.5, for sure.

2 Likes

@T3hPwnisher glad to be a guinea pig. Itā€™s the combo of squats and jumps here that seems to fry the legs. Feels a bit sucky at the time, but 8 hours or so later and I can feel it getting very sucky very quickly.

Honestly, this is the easiest program iā€™ve ever followed for Press, and itā€™s working so much better than my ā€œthrow everything at itā€ approach last year. Iā€™m fighting to stop myself adding more now.

I nearly did it today, but slow and steady wins this race. Iā€™m planning to keep on this kind of simple, slow progression until it stops working. Probably be a few weeks until I go for a single at 72.5kg, but when I make that jump, Iā€™ll expect to do 5 singles within 3 weeks so I need to be ready.

2 Likes

Work for this arvo:

100 navy seals with 3 Squat chaser

Did Squat jumps for the first rep a la @ChongLordUno challenge and quickly decided against it to avoid waking the neighbours. Subbed in straight squats instead, as much as my legs protested. These all sucked big time, Iā€™m going to need to be in much better shape by the next time ChongLord issues a challenge.

5 Likes

Mate the challenge is 3 pumps not navy seals

Youā€™ve actually made it more difficult you madman

4 Likes

Out of interest how long does this take you. I really need to up my burpee game I think.

@ChongLordUno I figured there isnā€™t much difference between a 3 pump and a navy seal, so Iā€™d get my navy seals in for the day.

@simo74 a long time. I wasnā€™t rushing this at all, just put a podcast on and got my head down. I think it was in the 30mins region, but I didnā€™t time.

Even 30 mins sounds good to me.

1 Like

I have been meaning to ask, now that both you and @simo74 have hopped on the burpee train and appear to have been fairly consistent for the past few weeksā€¦do you see and/or feel positive changes?

I donā€™t trust the Chonglordā€™s answer to this, because he does 4000 a day and if you cut him open he is probably made wholly of molecules that are endlessly doing burpees.

6 Likes

That is a really good question. As I sit here right now with a throat and chest infection it is a little hard to be impartial cause I currently feel like crap.

Things I have seen from 2 weeks of increasing burpees.

1. I am getting better at burpees. Sounds obvious I know but as I do more my body is learning the pattern and the movement gets a little easier.
  2. Counter to number 1 They donā€™t get any easier, by rep 25 I already thinking what am I doing.
  3. Pacing yourself is the secret. Too fast and you burn out and that makes them even harder.
  4. As I do more my mind is starting to change in regards to burpees and I am thinking about how to do more.
  5. I havenā€™t seen any reduction in strength in my other sessions but I am not pushing too hard in my program at the moment
  6. Conditioning is improving, a very small sample of evidence but my prowler work was easier last week than the week before and will more weight on the sled.
2 Likes

I donā€™t know yet, is the honest answer. Iā€™m reasonably certain that 350 extra push ups a week are certainly helping my press. Iā€™m very certain that I would not have trained everyday for the past however many weeks if I hadnā€™t done burpees. So thatā€™s their value for me, that I donā€™t need any real equipment and they can hit several areas that Iā€™m lacking in.

2 Likes