T Nation

10 Miles Back Again

I think I was reminded of them by you.

I’m going on the assumption that if I can Squat 4 plates, I can TBDL 5 no dramas. Likewise on the box, I can get top grades now due to crazy flexible hips.

That’s what she said.

2 Likes

But of course, it all depends on where your bodyweight is for all of those lifts.

1 Like

I don’t have time to add strength and lose the weight, so I’m choosing the strength now and weight after. I imagine I’ll finish the year a touch under 90kg.

1 Like

Probably wise. And in any case, even if you fell short on some of the lifts or got heavier than 90…you would have at least gotten stronger. Pretty good for a worst case scenario.

1 Like

Worst case, I end up with some all time Squat and Press PRs. That’s progress, especially since I haven’t seen a Squat PR in half a decade.

Mate! you really need to pull your socks up

1 Like

I love the clarity. A goal, a path to get there, a time (end of year) to assess and recalibrate if needed. Keeps your mind from getting in the way of the work.

1 Like

You spelled panties wrong.

3 Likes

oh what is this?

1 Like

@simo74 my last Squat PR was about the time I pulled a 5 plate deadlift, shortly before my little man was born. I stopped lifting/training or doing much apart from taking care of family stuff and work stuff for a few years and restarted from step 1 after that. So it’s not a total lack of progress so much as not regaining lost ground as quick as I’d like. I’m also pretty confident I’ve been capable of beating my old PR quite a few times, but I don’t test often.

@jdm135 yeah, I’m definitely good at spinning my wheels and then using the “it’s just a hobby, it needs to have some shiny new stuff to keep it interesting” excuse. I think @simo74 is a good example of why that’s silly.

@cstan097 it’s from this article. There are other options for most categories, but nieve picked the most difficult or the least complicated, or both.

1 Like

Mate you are getting the work in and taking care of business that is all that really matter. We are all just playing at this stuff anyway. I really think all this is mostly just priorities. If you really wanted the squat number you would have made it a priority over the last 6 months and had it. Wanting to hit something or finding a standard interesting or good to work towards is very different from making something a priority. Keep doing you mate you are doing fine.

1 Like

I noticed recently that my press has not gone up in 2 years (well 2 years back if was 72.5kg for 5 reps. Now its 70kg 5x5).
It is easy to get caught up on “I’ve just spinning my wheels”. Except there are a million ways you have made progress. IF even one of your lifts has gone up then you’ve done well. If you look even a touch better then progress.
I mean wanting to do better is why we are all hear. But don’t perfect be the enemy of good.

2 Likes

@simo74 @carlbm cheers lads

Weigh in: 200.2lbs definitely identified the issue: cut out the triple protein shakes and replaced with real food. Quite trashy real food actually. Managed to lose weight and look better with less training and objectively worse nutrition: lesson learned. Time to up the training and replace the trashy food with good stuff. Will do a “breaking back in” week this week before starting the program in earnest. Stress is still extremely high and sleep is scarce so will do “something” this week so that next week doesn’t hit me like a sack of shit.

5 Likes

Work for today:

Squat:
5 x 60kg
3 x 80kg
3 x 90kg
2 x 100kg
2 x 110kg
1 x 120kg
5 x 120kg
3 x 8 @ 110kg

Notes:

• Short on time today, but wanted to remind my body that it should probably keep some muscle.
  • Also wanted to get a feel for heavy(er) squatting and see where the issues are. Found the same thing I always relearn: that heavy squats are not like light squats, it’s a totally different skill. No change in plan for now, but I will need to remember this when it comes time to plan a peak. I will need a lot more practice with heavy squats than I will with heavy presses, and also plenty of work on bracing and core strength(?) Because holding heavy weights on your back is difficult, even if your legs are strong enough to move it.
7 Likes

Shots fired! Gotta up my shit a little bit.

1 Like

100% unintentional. But I’m also 100% confident you can do that.

1 Like

Mate, it isn’t going to be much of a rivalry if you just roll over and let me win like that.

2 Likes

I’m playing the long game. As long as I’m stronger than you when I eventually reach your age, I reckon I’m golden.

1 Like