10 Golden Rules For the Gym

[quote]cadav wrote:
pushharder wrote:
If gyms would discreetly make their ignorant members aware of gym etiquette and enforce at least some of these rules the world would be a happier place.

i don’t know…
some are good rules (clean the sweet, don’t curl in the rack, take the db to their plaese, don’t take an equipment if you have not to use it…) but some of the other… they sounds to me a little “too much”…

if someone comes with make up… what the hell? it’s her face :), if someone want to walk naked… hell it’s his body… and so on…

i don’t know… may be it’s just a matter of tollerance[/quote]

Exactly.
Being a tolerant European, I believe the only three rules you need would be:

I Try to leave the weights/machines the way you found them (ie clean and at the right place)!

II Respect the other gym visitors!

III Please don’t curl in the squat rack!

[quote]Schwarzfahrer wrote:

I Try to leave the weights/machines the way you found them (ie clean and at the right place)!

III Please don’t curl in the squat rack!

[/quote]

Exactly :slight_smile:

[quote]dennis3k wrote:
Love it…specially the one bout putting the weights away…wayy too many ‘tough guys’ seem to think that they need all this weight but when it comes to putting it back, all the energy seems to go away

I like to think of it this way
if you’re strong enough to lift the weight your damn well strong enough to put it away[/quote]

Amen.

This is the one thing that really bothers me in the gym. My gym has enough power racks that the curling issue doesn’t bother me and I tune out everything else. This is the issue that affects me and moreover I consider it disrespectful to other patrons and gym employees.

i don’t know… may be it’s just a matter of tollerance

Exactly.

[/quote]

That’s why America runs shit.

Kidding!

TOLERANT european??? Let’s move 40000 african immigrants to dusseldorf and see how tolerant Europeans are.

[quote]Fat Tony wrote:
11: Personal Trainers are the antichrist.[/quote]

Some good rules here but the above one? What the? Did you have a bad experience or something? There are good PTs and bad ones, but I’d hardly say they are all the anti-christ.

I curl in the squat rack.

But then I workout at home…it’s my squat rack and I can do whatever I want in it.

Nekid men waving their junk around is gay. Lately there has been a lot of discussion here on this topic.
1)You take a shower…
2)You dry yourself with a towel…
3)You put something on…
4)Then you start blowdrying your fucking hair and entering all kinds of stupid conversations with strangers.

If you switch #3 and #4 then you are probably looking for action, showing your goods. I couldn’t imagine any other reason for this type of behaviour.

http://images.t-nation.com/forum_images/9/0/904225.1138550465833.2AD01944[1].jpg

Don’t worry, February is just around the corner. Most of the “resolutionists” will dissolve soon enough.
The parking will be better, you may be able to complete a superset, without one of them, planting their yoga pant asses on your bench, most of the salesmen will fade away and we can all get back to our routine of critiquing ourselves instead of those people.

[quote]der Koning wrote:
TOLERANT european??? Let’s move 40000 african immigrants to dusseldorf and see how tolerant Europeans are.

[/quote]

LOL just an other new flame :wink:

kidding…:smiley:

I agree with many of the rules. Never have I seen a nekkid dude in the locker room but I only go in there to piss.

I do notice women that come to the gym all prepped up like they are getting ready to screw. Maybe I should make an offer to them.

I laugh at the following:

1.) Towels and water bottles that people leave laying around after they are done with the bench, rack whatever and then come interrupt me or others when they are using them.

2.) Not racking weights. Seriously if you are gonna squat rack curl 75 lbs why don’t you take the time to unload the “heavy” bar instead of making me waste my time.

3.) Stop bringing M&F into the gym and leaving it open to consult the workouts. Write them down and bring a book or scratch pad to record the values.

4.) if I’m doing lunges, bulgarian squats or something like that please don’t walk in front of me right when I step to begin lifting weights.

cadav wrote:
pushharder wrote:

[/quote]

It’s fine if someone is comfortable enough with their body to walk around naked but you just said yourself to respect other gym visitors. Well most guys at the gym are not comfortable with seeing another man naked, so we should all be respectful and cover up.

on the nekkid topic, my story beats all. There was a guy, 45 or so, at my gym who literally spent more time nekkid than clothed. Spent 15 mintues getting underessed/dressed before, then another 20 minuted to shower and parade around the lockeroom afterwards. With a 20 mintue “workout” in between. Not creepy enough? How’s this: there are only two sinks, sharing one mirror, like if you have his/hers in your master bath at home. He would shower, walk out in the buff, and proceed to stand at the sink and shave his face. Mind, you, this is lunchtime, everyone is coming from 1/2 day of work already. So, you may want to wash your face, or comb your hair, and what’s staring back at you in the mirror?

[quote]eawhite wrote:
Schwarzfahrer wrote:

It’s fine if someone is comfortable enough with their body to walk around naked but you just said yourself to respect other gym visitors. Well most guys at the gym are not comfortable with seeing another man naked, so we should all be respectful and cover up.
[/quote]

You’re so right, if someone’s walkin around buttnaked, he should get “stoned to death with rocks the size of a man’s fist” as the Sharia demands.
Wait a minute, you’re not posting from Saudi Arabia, you’re an american guy!

Seriously, nekkidness cannot be offending in any way.
One more step, and you’re voting for Burqa, cause a beautiful women could tempt (and therefore disrespect) a man.
How someone dresses (if at all) is totally up to him.

eawhite wrote:
Schwarzfahrer wrote:

You’re so right, if someone’s walkin around buttnaked, he should get “stoned to death with rocks the size of a man’s fist” as the Sharia demands.
Wait a minute, you’re not posting from Saudi Arabia, you’re an american guy!

Seriously, nekkidness cannot be offending in any way.
One more step, and you’re voting for Burqa, cause a beautiful women could tempt (and therefore disrespect) a man.
How someone dresses (if at all) is totally up to him.
[/quote]

This is a cultural thing. Americans are, for good or bad, nowhere near as comfortable with nudity as Europeans.

Maybe it’s the whole Founded-By-Puritans thing, maybe it’s the whole Everybody’s-So-Fucking-Fat thing, who knows? At any rate, it makes everyone else uncomfortable when someone parades around the locker room naked.

Notice, though, that I said “parade.” It is, after all, a locker room. Nudity is supposed to be a TRANSITORY state. In betwen the locker and the shower, or your street clothes and your shorts. Weighing in, shaving, etc.: this is not naked time.

This is not a moral judgement, or as some of the more douchebag-esque members of this board would grunt, “Cuz it’s gay.” (Even though some guys who walk around naked ARE gay dudes looking for sex.) It’s a cultral thing. Remember, in America, there are two groups with colonies: nudists and lepers.

[quote]grey wrote:
I curl in the squat rack.

But then I workout at home…it’s my squat rack and I can do whatever I want in it.
[/quote]
…exactly i have no one to complain.

[quote]eawhite wrote:

[/quote]

ehi… it can’t be a problem… i mean he is naked in the locker room, and he is not standing in front of you yelling “look at me look at me look at me”:slight_smile:

how can naked ppl be unrespectable of others?

which is the problem? i mean, where is the “disrespect” in that?

Every gym has a septagenarian who likes to put his leg up on the sink while he dries his balls. Even my college gym had one. I always found it kinda funny. There’s no use sweating it due to its apparent ubiquity. Is it really that hard to look away from some old dude’s nut sack?

Mainly the biggest beef seems to be that there are a few too many people going to the gym to hang out, not work. I go to bust my ass, get the shit done right, and leave until next time. That’s why I get pissed when some jackass takes 2 hours to do what could be a 30 minute session on the bench. I mean, how fucking long does a person REALLY need to rest between sets? What the fuck does your job have to do with your next set? Get the hell to work with that bar asshole so I might use it this week!! Maybe there should be some Terry Tate-like dude bashing people into the concrete walls whenever they do stupid shit or waste other’s time needlessly… “You gotta use the bench or go home motherfucker!! Whoooooo!!!”

What a nice thought

[quote]etaco wrote:
Every gym has a septagenarian who likes to put his leg up on the sink while he dries his balls. Even my college gym had one. I always found it kinda funny. There’s no use sweating it due to its apparent ubiquity. Is it really that hard to look away from some old dude’s nut sack?[/quote]

Is it so hard for them to wrap a towel around their waist?

1: Don’t lift weights at the rack right infront of the mirror. Take theweight to a bench or somewhere on the mat and lift there. Never block the rack and lift 12" away from the mirror.

Yeah and also, notice how many gyms (usually not fancy gyms) have broken mirrors ? Cos some wanker doing curls in front of the mirror right next to the dumbell rack managed to fall into the mirror holding dumbells. They replace the mirror and he comes back, falls into the mirror again. Drunken bastard.