10 Days Away From Gym

have any of you taken this long away from the gym? did you lose muscle?

do i still need to get enough protein?

I’ve been away from the gym for 2weeks and on a bad diet. I lost around 1-1.5kg of muscle but after I returned to my normal diet/training routine I was rested, increased the weight in all of my lifts and gained that muscle back and even more really fast. Not such big of a deal. If you manage to have a good diet while away from training you wont even notice the difference

[quote]buildsomemuscle wrote:
have any of you taken this long away from the gym?[/quote]
Almost.

Not to any significant extent.

“Enough” is context-specific, but protein, yes. Total calories are more important to adjust for reduced activity.

Even 3 weeks off can be regained quickly, no need to worry.

Was your username inspired by the twins? just wondering sorry to be off topic haha

But I’d say it’ll probably do more good than harm once you come back and start getting into it again.

[quote]Andrewdwatters1 wrote:
Was your username inspired by the twins? just wondering sorry to be off topic haha

But I’d say it’ll probably do more good than harm once you come back and start getting into it again. [/quote]

yes it is

yup i fear that i inevitably will loose muscle, sadly i have no choice. i am burned out.

i train pull/push/legs/cardio, always go to failure always high intensity and 1 hour 10 minutes to 20 when lifting weights while 4 km as fast as i can on cardio days. usually train a little when i get home too.

i tried training again two days ago after 4 days off but still had no energy, was not able to produce any kind of intensity even tough i was going to failure, felt mentally heavier even tough i did the same reps to failure if that makes sense and sweat felt weird on the skin like i was sick or something. in the home i was feeling depressed, lazy,fatigued and like there was no point in life. not trying to sound like a baby just saying that went into consideration when deciding to take this time off.

love the program tough made great progress, can’t wait to get back to it once i am ready.

" “Enough” is context-specific, but protein, yes. Total calories are more important to adjust for reduced activity. "

yes, didn’t think when i wrote that, i meant 1 gram per lbs.
i will still eat relatively big, of course adjusted for reduced activity.

Maybe you would make better long term progress with a more moderate program that you can stick to more consistently.

[quote]buildsomemuscle wrote:
yup i fear that i inevitably will loose muscle, sadly i have no choice. i am burned out.

i train pull/push/legs/cardio, always go to failure always high intensity and 1 hour 10 minutes to 20 when lifting weights while 4 km as fast as i can on cardio days. usually train a little when i get home too.
[/quote]

You might actually GAIN muscle from taking a week off. You’re running yourself into the ground; this is not efficient training, believe it or not.

[quote]batman730 wrote:
Maybe you would make better long term progress with a more moderate program that you can stick to more consistently.[/quote]
i stick to it, i think what i am going trough at the moment is just the adaption phase to higher volume training.
i have made good progress on this, i don’t have the best genetics so the progress is not amazing no matter what i do, but i have done a lot of different programs over the past 2.5 years, full body, upper lower, bodypart split, only upper body( in the beginning)

i started with pull push legs in summer and have loved doing it since, you can have higher volume than upper lower and still have high frequency.

No dramas at all. Won’t hurt you. Keep your diet in check and you’ll be right as rain.

This is such a silly question.

Muscle does simply not just disappear.

Unless you are a high-level competitor, this is something NO ONE should worry about… ever.

[quote]SSC wrote:
This is such a silly question.

Muscle does simply not just disappear.

Unless you are a high-level competitor, this is something NO ONE should worry about… ever.[/quote]

I agree. Although, for my mental health, I would need to do some kind of physical activity or else I would go crazy. Too much pent up energy.

OP, you might want to consider backing off your training a little (don’t go to failure every workout). You will see better results in the long term and will have less of a need for a “deload” week.