10 Best Exercises?

Today I was thinkg about what the 10 best exercises were to develop overall maximal strength. Here is what I came up with. You’ll note that the olympic lifts are missing, in constructing the list I was thinking more of traditional exercises, I realize you could make a good argument for the olympic lifts.

The overall goal was that if you are good at these exercises you will be good at essentially every resistance exercise in the gym.

Bench Press
Squat
Deadlift
Pull-ups
Bent Over Row
Standing Military Press
EZ Curl
Skull Crusher
Dips
Hanging Leg Raises

Comments are welcome.

http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=483907

No triceps kickbacks? Are you insane?

Squats (all kinds)
Deads (all kinds)
Bench (all kinds)
Bent Press
Pull Ups
Turkish get-ups
Russian Twists
Rows
Goodmornings
Glute-Ham Raises

Lunges are one of my personal favs.

[quote]nptitim wrote:
Today I was thinkg about what the 10 best exercises were to develop overall maximal strength. Here is what I came up with. You’ll note that the olympic lifts are missing, in constructing the list I was thinking more of traditional exercises, I realize you could make a good argument for the olympic lifts.

The overall goal was that if you are good at these exercises you will be good at essentially every resistance exercise in the gym.

Bench Press
Squat
Deadlift
Pull-ups
Bent Over Row
Standing Military Press
EZ Curl
Skull Crusher
Dips
Hanging Leg Raises

Comments are welcome.[/quote]
You are KIDDING about EZ Curls right???.. Skull Crusher are border line for strength

These arn’t the best 10. But they are my favorite 10.

-Front Deadlift
-Rear Deadlift
-Sumo Deadlift
-Power Clean
-Clean & Press
-Military Press
-Incline Bench Press
-Flat Bench Press
-Bentover Row my actual favorite
-Back Squat

"Overall Maximum Strength?

Why would you have any single joint moves? Any?

I would think the question should be in light of total amount on the bar…the more weight the more hit on “Overall Maximum Strength.”

So: Deadlifts, Squat, Bench would stay on, for most of us Military or Jerks, but really as you begin to slide into exercises that you can only move weights in the 200 pound range or even the 100 pound range, the total hit is going to be limited.

Deadlifts (all forms)
Bench Press (all forms)
Squat (as many variations as possible)
Military Press
Rows (chest supported and bent over)
Curls (hammer and standing barbell)
Skull Crushers
Hyper & Reverse Hyper Back Extensions
Sled Dragging (all forms)
Hanging Leg Raises

Why do you all prefer military press to behind the neck press?

Weighted Abs Roller (plate on back).

[quote]BarneyFife wrote:
Why do you all prefer military press to behind the neck press?[/quote]

Behind the neck press puts your shoulder in an awkward, for lack of a better word, position.

Search cresseys articles about shoulder savers… I think he touches upon it.

[quote]chrisrodx wrote:

Weighted Abs Roller (plate on back). [/quote]

Dude get the fuck outta here seriously… before I toss my Olympic bar across your forehead.

All abdominal exercises are for pussies… you are the same guy that was asking about his bodyfat% a few weeks ago, weren’t you?

I don’t do abs ever. Why? Because abs are for pussies!

Yeah I guess abs must be for pussies. Its too bad that almost all powerlifters do them (we must be pussies). Maybe what you are trying to get at is that some types of abs exercises are for pussies- like maybe crunches or situps. Others, like heavy leg raises, turkish gettups, steighborn squats, using an ab wheel (these things rock), dragon flags, jandas, saxon side bends, are all crucial to squatting and deadlifting big. I hope you were joking.

[quote]dead_lifter5000 wrote:
Yeah I guess abs must be for pussies. Its too bad that almost all powerlifters do them (we must be pussies). Maybe what you are trying to get at is that some types of abs exercises are for pussies- like maybe crunches or situps. Others, like heavy leg raises, turkish gettups, steighborn squats, using an ab wheel (these things rock), dragon flags, jandas, saxon side bends, are all crucial to squatting and deadlifting big. I hope you were joking.[/quote]

That’s not doing ab exercises. That’s doing powerlifters exercises. There’s a difference. If I saw Arnold Schwarzenegger doing some crunches or Ronnie Coleman doing some sit ups, I wouldn’t think they are doing pussy exercises. Why? Becasue they arn’t pussies. Doing ab-specific exercises when you look like a cabana nany boy… those are pussy exercises.

I probably should have wrote that up a little better. I myself work my core. What I am referring to is an “abdominal 6-pack”. I would never do an ab exercise because i wanted to flatten my stomache or try to cut and lose weight so I could look like a cadaver with abs.

No, Core strengthening does not equal pussies.

Yes, Pansy looking nancy boys trying to cut and do ab rollers so they can have a visible 6-pack are “PUSSIES”!

[quote]Go heavy fool wrote:
chrisrodx wrote:

Dude get the fuck outta here seriously… before I toss my Olympic bar across your forehead.

All abdominal exercises are for pussies… you are the same guy that was asking about his bodyfat% a few weeks ago, weren’t you?

I don’t do abs ever. Why? Because abs are for pussies![/quote]

GHF, you disappoint me. I think this might be the fist time I’ve disagreed with you. Don’t train abs at all???

BTW, those ab-roller type exercises are great. I don’t have one but I use my sons tricycle and fuck an A it’s brutal on the abs.

[quote]Go heavy fool wrote:
dead_lifter5000 wrote:
Yeah I guess abs must be for pussies. Its too bad that almost all powerlifters do them (we must be pussies). Maybe what you are trying to get at is that some types of abs exercises are for pussies- like maybe crunches or situps. Others, like heavy leg raises, turkish gettups, steighborn squats, using an ab wheel (these things rock), dragon flags, jandas, saxon side bends, are all crucial to squatting and deadlifting big. I hope you were joking.

That’s not doing ab exercises. That’s doing powerlifters exercises. There’s a difference. If I saw Arnold Schwarzenegger doing some crunches or Ronnie Coleman doing some sit ups, I wouldn’t think they are doing pussy exercises. Why? Becasue they arn’t pussies. Doing ab-specific exercises when you look like a cabana nany boy… those are pussy exercises.

I probably should have wrote that up a little better. I myself work my core. What I am referring to is an “abdominal 6-pack”. I would never do an ab exercise because i wanted to flatten my stomache or try to cut and lose weight so I could look like a cadaver with abs.

No, Core strengthening does not equal pussies.

Yes, Pansy looking nancy boys trying to cut and do ab rollers so they can have a visible 6-pack are “PUSSIES”!

[/quote]
Ok. Better explanation.

1. Bench Press
  2. Squat
  3. Deadlift
  4. Chinups
  5. Rows
  6. Good Mornings
  7. Glute-Ham Raises
  8. Walking Lunges
  9. Leg Raises
  10. Overhead Press
  • All variations of above

My 2 cents

1. Bench
  2. Deadlift
  3. Squat
  4. Push press
  5. Clean & Press
  6. Power Clean
  7. Bend over rows
  8. Military Press
  9. Chin-ups
  10. lunges

[quote]on edge wrote:
Go heavy fool wrote:
chrisrodx wrote:

I don’t do abs ever. Why? Because abs are for pussies!

GHF, you disappoint me. I think this might be the fist time I’ve disagreed with you. Don’t train abs at all???

BTW, those ab-roller type exercises are great. I don’t have one but I use my sons tricycle and fuck an A it’s brutal on the abs.
[/quote]

First time for everything. How bout this… Train your core, not your 6-pack?

When most people say “abs”… I immediatly think 6-pack. There are so many other core muscles and waistline muscle groups besides the abs that nobody trains. I train them all for strength. Erectors, Obliques, Intercostals, Serratus, hip flexors, and the abdominals. Most ab rolling pussy boys have no core strength or a serratus or intercostal muscle to speak of.

Most of these 6-pack Brad Pitt wannabes have no clue how to even train the abdominal muscles in the first place. Sit ups and crunches do not work the function of the abdominals anyways. Sit ups work your hip flexors and strain your lower back. Crunches work nothing except maybe a dent in the carpet and a sore neck.