The Beatles-Revolver
Metallica-…And Justice for All
Led Zeppelin-Physical Graffiti
Pink Floyd-Animals
Guns N’ Roses-Appetite for Destruction
Jimi Hendrix-Band of Gypsies
Velvet Underground and Nico
Bob Dylan-Highway 61 Revisited[/quote]

Sounds about right, except I would get Born to run and maybe Who’s Next on there.

If we venture out of Rock, Johnny Cash , Nina Simone, Mile Davis, and or John Coltrane would need to be there.

I know I’m 45, but I would put almost no rock on there int he last 20 years. To me it’s just a rehash and repackaging of stuff that has already been done. Even if we get into Rap/funk/hip hop stuff there’s Grandmaster Flash, Afrika Bambatta, and George Clinton.

I think these guys have done more for music than the Puffy, Biggie, Nas crowd.

Then there are the Blues guys who everyone in modern music owes a debt of gratitude to, such as Buddy Guy, Diddley, Ray Charles, B.B. King and others.

I was listening to Soundgarden’s ‘Down on the Upside’ last night. I forgot how good it was, and how depressing. Don’t listen to it drunk, you might want to put a gun in your mouth.

Well I’m completely metalhead biased, but anyway:

(Not in any order)

Metallica-Master of Puppets
Iron Maiden-Number of the Beast
Pink Floyd-Dark Side of the Moon
Van Halen-Van Halen
Iced Earth-Burnt Offerings
Jimi Hendrix-Are You Experianced?
Led Zeppelin-Led Zeppelin
At the Gates-Slaughter of the Soul
Lamb of God-Sacrament
In Flames-Come Clarity

[quote]tom63 wrote:
Even if we get into Rap/funk/hip hop stuff there’s Grandmaster Flash, Afrika Bambatta, and George Clinton.

Then there are the Blues guys who everyone in modern music owes a debt of gratitude to, such as Buddy Guy, Diddley, Ray Charles, B.B. King and others.

[/quote]
I think this is just about individual tastes in music.
If not you would have to make this thread “10(pick a genre) Albums to Hear Before You Die”

Blues
Drink Small - Does it all
Bukka White - Parchman Farm Blues
Son House - Father Of The Delta Blues
Tampa Red - Don’t Tampa With The Blues
Blind Lemon Jefferson - Black Snake Moan
Rev. Gary Davis - Lifting The Veil
Robert Johnson - Back To The Crossroads
Big Bill Broonzy - The Young Bill Broonzy
Mississippi John Hurt - 1928 Sessions
Ma Rainey - Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom

[quote]tom63 wrote:
Geebus wrote:
The Doors-The Doors
Allman Brothers-Live at Fillmore East
The Beatles-Revolver
Pink Floyd-Animals
Bob Dylan-Highway 61 Revisited

Sounds about right, except I would get Born to run and maybe Who’s Next on there.

If we venture out of Rock, Johnny Cash , Nina Simone, Mile Davis, and or John Coltrane would need to be there.

I know I’m 45, but I would put almost no rock on there int he last 20 years. To me it’s just a rehash and repackaging of stuff that has already been done. Even if we get into Rap/funk/hip hop stuff there’s Grandmaster Flash, Afrika Bambatta, and George Clinton.

[/quote]

Yeah, Geebus’s list is pretty good, or rather I agree with every choice. Extra points for Velvet Underground. Yes it could use some jazz and blues.

But has anyone noticed SteelyD is the only one to include any classical music. What’s up with that? No one else thinks that classical is an essential part of the musical canon? And for the record, I think Bach’s lute suites are far more enjoyable than his cello suites.

[quote]silverblood wrote:
tom63 wrote:
Even if we get into Rap/funk/hip hop stuff there’s Grandmaster Flash, Afrika Bambatta, and George Clinton.

If not you would have to make this thread “10(pick a genre) Albums to Hear Before You Die”

Blues

[/quote]

What, no Muddy Waters?

[quote]ctschneider wrote:
tom63 wrote:
Geebus wrote:
The Doors-The Doors
The Beatles-Revolver
Pink Floyd-Animals

Yeah, Geebus’s list is pretty good, or rather I agree with every choice. Extra points for Velvet Underground. Yes it could use some jazz and blues.

But has anyone noticed SteelyD is the only one to include any classical music. What’s up with that? No one else thinks that classical is an essential part of the musical canon? And for the record, I think Bach’s lute suites are far more enjoyable than his cello suites.

[/quote]

I took it to be modern music, but you’re definitely right on that point.

[quote]tom63 wrote:

I took it to be modern music, but you’re definitely right on that point.

[/quote]

Hmmm, it’s a little hard to draw a line between classical and “modern” music. I mean Ravel, Vaughan Williams, Prokofiev, Copeland, and Villa-Lobos were all roughly contemporaneous with the likes of Robert Johnson, Fats Waller, and Louis Armstrong.

Joe Pass - Virtuoso
The Kinks - Muswell Hillbillies
Glenn Gould - Goldberg Variations (both versions)
John Prine - Souvenirs
Townes Van Zandt - Live at the Old Quarter
Black Sabbath - Black Sabbath
Wilco - Being There
Bob Dylan - Bringing It All Back Home
Tom Waits - Bone Machine
Stevie Wonder - Innervisions

silverblood wrote:
tom63 wrote:

Blues

What, no Muddy Waters?[/quote]
I like Muddy Waters but I chose albums and artists that I feel are not well known. These are outstanding examples of the type of Blues I like.

[/quote]

The question is about albums. Bach didn’t write albums. If this was a thread titled “10 Pieces to hear before you die,” you might have a point.

[quote]timbofirstblood wrote:
ctschneider wrote:

The question is about albums. Bach didn’t write albums. If this was a thread titled “10 Pieces to hear before you die,” you might have a point.[/quote]

Wrong. Plenty of orchestras/quartets/individuals/etc have indeed recorded ‘albums’ of Bach’s compositions. There are plenty of ‘albums’ that contain Bach’s music – if not his own performances of them.

Pink Floyd- Forget the movie, The album is a lyrical masterpiece.

Skynyrd-One more from the road
The Clash-London Calling
The Who-Hooligans
Bob Marley ATW-Exodus
Rush-Moving Pictures
Dire Straits-On the night
Johnny Cash-Live at San Quentin
Green Day-American Idiot
Led Zepplin-IV
Bob Seger-Nine Tonight

Good thread…I’m gonna cheat and break it up into two categories.

Overall Favorites:

Angra - Holy Land
Barky - A Study in Rocking
Beatles - Abbey Road
Chris Cornell - Euphoria Morning
Jaga Jazzist - What We Must
King Crimson - Red
Mahavishnu Orchestra - Birds of Fire
Mars Volta - Deloused in the Comatorium
Pain of Salvation - Remedy Lane
Yes - Close to the Edge

Current Favorites:

Angus and Julia Stone - A Book Like This
Blu & Exile - Below the Heavens
Flaming Lips - Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots
Fleet Foxes - Fleet Foxes
Jeff Buckley - Grace
John Legend - Once Again
Mew - Frengers
The Parlor Mob - And You Were a Crow
Regina Spektor - Begin to Hope
Thomas Dybdahl - …That Great October Sound

It’s killing me how many albums I left out. I also have to say how deeply disturbed I am by the number of Rush fans we have here.

[/quote]

Good call on the lute suites. I chose the cello suites because the list was already a little heavy on “guitar” music.

Of course, I could do an essential 10 on each genre (as many of us probably could have). Classical (technically Baroque) is as influential to rock music as anything.

Without the I-IV-V motif in classical, there is no blues, no jazz, and certainly then no rock and offspins… :slight_smile:

tom63 wrote:
Geebus wrote:
The Doors-The Doors
The Beatles-Revolver
Pink Floyd-Animals

[/quote]
I love classical but felt that a favorite album has a lot to do with who performs and conducts. My favorite performance of Water Music was by St Martin-in-the-Fields but it was done using modern instruments. There are some that would say this is an abomination. Here is a short list of some of my favorite pieces.

Dvorak - Symphony No. 9(New World Symphony)
Mussorgsky - Pictures At An Exhibition(I know some will ask “why not Boris Godunov?” I just prefer Pictures :P)
Wagner - Die Walkure(The Valkyrie)or if you have the time the entire Ring nes Nibelungen
Rimsky-Korsakoff - Scheherazade
Ravel - Piano Concerto In G Major
Vivaldi - Il Cimento dell’ Armenia e dell’invenzione (The trial of harmony and invention), opus 8. This includes The 4 Seasons.
Stravinsky - The Firebird
Handel - Water Music(I know, I know “Messiah”)
Holst - The Planets
P.D.Q. Bach - The Abduction Of Figaro(you need to see the opera to truely appreciate the nusic) / A Little Nightmare Music(Opera in One Irrevocable Act)

[quote]timbofirstblood wrote:
ctschneider wrote:

The question is about albums. Bach didn’t write albums. If this was a thread titled “10 Pieces to hear before you die,” you might have a point.[/quote]

The cello suites are a compilation, an album of compositions in the purest sense of ‘album’, a concept album, if you will.

It was released in album form. Let’s not resort to petty dickery, m’kay?

Offspring - Smash

The Replacements- Let It Be
The Clash- The Clash (U.S. version)
Joy Division- Still
Bruce Springsteen - Darkness On the Edge of Town
Lupe Fiasco - Food and Liquor
My Bloody Valentine - Loveless
The Who - Quadrophenia
The Velvet Underground & Nico
Bob Dylan and The Band - The Basement Tapes
The Rolling Stones - Beggars Banquet

+1 Elvis Costello & Burt Bacharach- Painted From Memory

I am amazed at how many of the artists listed here that I never heard of. With the exception of the 70’s-80’s bands.

I am a guitar player so most of my picks are based on my appreciation of the guitar work on these albums.

In general music started getting louder and harder after the 80’s. Although some of it is good I just don’t find entire albums to my taste.

Steve Miller - Steve Millers Greatest Hits
Eagles - Eagles Greatest hits
Dire Straights - Down to the Water Line
Stray Cats - Any
Led Zepplin - Any
Van Halen - OU812
Def Leperd - Pyromania
John Cougar - American Fool
Lynard Skynard - Second Helping
Molly Hatchet - Flirting with Disaster

Dates me as an old fart. I know.