T Nation

10 Albums to Hear Before You Die

Well, basically i started this thread as a way to spin suggestions for something new to listen to. My friends and I will sometimes talk about this anyhow, so I’m curious what everyone else on T-Nation thinks.

For me, alphabetically (most of these have a lot more meaning to me than just the feel of the track).

  1. Audioslave - Out of Exile
  2. Black Sabbath - Paranoid
  3. Foo Fighters - The Color and the Shape
  4. Nada Surf - This Weight is a Gift
  5. Nirvana - Nevermind
  6. Rage Against the Machine - S/T
  7. Red - End of Silence
  8. RHCP - Californication
  9. Rise Against - Appeal to Reason
  10. Weezer - Green Album

Yeah I’m a young guy, and no I don’t lift to most of this stuff.

So what have I been missing out on?

Man, I’m going to just spout of 10 random cds. They may not be the best, but they’re good ones that come off the top of my head.

Gorillaz - Self Titled (Original CD)
DJ Tiesto - In Search of Sunrise 3
Cryptopsy - None So Vile
Nas - Illmatic
Circa Survive - Juturna
If These Trees Could Talk - (Anything, if you can find it.)
Mars Volta - DeLoused in the Comatorium
Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here -or- Animals
Krisiun - Ageless Venemous
Immortal Technique - Revolutionary, Volume 2

I kind of just plucked 10 bands out of my ass, and tried to cover several notable genres.

This is gonna have a wind range of responses, but these are my top 10 albums basically… In no order.

  1. Emperor - Emperial Live Ceremony
  2. Rabbit In The Moon - Decade
  3. LTJ Bukem - Promised Land
  4. Metallica - Ride The Lightning
  5. Immortal - Sons Of Northern Darkness
  6. NWA - Straight Out of Compton
  7. Ensiferum - Iron
  8. The Crystal Method - Vegas
  9. Eminem - The Marshall Mathers LP
  10. Allagoch - The Mantle

Metallica-Master of Puppets
Bruce Springsteen- Darkness on the Edge of Town
Prince- Purple Rain
Stevie Wonder- Talking Book
Michael Jackson- Thriller
RHCP- Blood Sugar Sex Magic
Rush- Moving Pictures
Van Halen- Van Halen
Neil Young- Zuma
U2- Achtung Baby

These aren’t necessarily my top ten favorite albums, but they’re ones that I like a lot and represent the best of some pretty talented artists. I tried to avoid repeats, too; this is more a list of ten artists to listen, with my favorite of their albums.

[quote]baseballer2150 wrote:
Well, basically i started this thread as a way to spin suggestions for something new to listen to. My friends and I will sometimes talk about this anyhow, so I’m curious what everyone else on T-Nation thinks.

For me, alphabetically (most of these have a lot more meaning to me than just the feel of the track).

  1. Audioslave - Out of Exile
  2. Black Sabbath - Paranoid
  3. Foo Fighters - The Color and the Shape
  4. Nada Surf - This Weight is a Gift
  5. Nirvana - Nevermind
  6. Rage Against the Machine - S/T
  7. Red - End of Silence
  8. RHCP - Californication
  9. Rise Against - Appeal to Reason
  10. Weezer - Green Album

Yeah I’m a young guy, and no I don’t lift to most of this stuff.

So what have I been missing out on?[/quote]

There are some good albums on there. I like Blood Sugar Sex Magic much better than Californication, but that’s just my opinion. That Rage album is sick; I remember the first time I heard “Killing in the Name,” and I heard that part at the end where he starts yelling “Fuck you I won’t do what you tell me!” I thought that was the coolest thing ever back then (middle school.)

Just ten off the top of my head without being in any order of importance

Dream Theater - Images and Words
Pagan’s Mind - Enigmatic Calling
Circus Maximus - Isolate
Goo Goo Dolls - Dizzy Up the Girl
Alan Jackson - Who I Am
Atomship - The Crash of '47
Children of Bodom - Follow the Reaper
Cold - Year of the Spider
Kamelot - The Black Halo
Seventh Wonder - Mercy Falls

Allman Brothers-Eat a Peach
Ryan Adams-Love is Hell
The Beatles-The White Album
Miles Davis-Kind of Blue
Bob Dylan-Highway 61 Revisted
The Grateful Dead-Anything live from 1974
Jay-Z-The Black Album
Nas-Illmatic
Jimi Hendrix-Electric Ladyland
Wilco-Yankee Hotel Foxtrot

cool to see people recognize the beauty of an actual album, not just a couple singles and some filler

(no order of just a few good proper albums in my eyes)

neil young - harvest
neil young - harvest moon
pink floyd - wish you were here
pink floyd - animals
david gilmour - on an island
zao - self titled
living sacrifice - hammering process
lynard skynard - pronounced leh-nard skin-nard
deftones - around the fur
deftones - white pony
dave matthews band - any live album…doesnt fit what i’d normally define as an album but i feel they need to be mentioned
incubus - morning view
a couple zeppelins
older metallica - ie, ride the lightning
P.O.D. - fundamental elements of southtown
Rush - 2112
Tool - lateralus
Mogwai makes a good album i find
blah, this could go on for hours, good enough for now

Tool…10,000 Days

Roger Waters…Amused to Death

Floyd…Animals

The Doors-The Doors
Allman Brothers-Live at Fillmore East
The Beatles-Revolver
Metallica-…And Justice for All
Led Zeppelin-Physical Graffiti
Pink Floyd-Animals
Guns N’ Roses-Appetite for Destruction
Jimi Hendrix-Band of Gypsies
Velvet Underground and Nico
Bob Dylan-Highway 61 Revisited

While your at it you might as well add all the Rise Against albums to the list…

Revolutions Per Minute> The Unraveling> Siren Songs of the Counter Culture> Suffer and the Witness> Appeal to Reason

[quote]Rocker3829 wrote:
Just ten off the top of my head without being in any order of importance

Dream Theater - Images and Words
Pagan’s Mind - Enigmatic Calling
Circus Maximus - Isolate
Goo Goo Dolls - Dizzy Up the Girl
Alan Jackson - Who I Am
Atomship - The Crash of '47
Children of Bodom - Follow the Reaper
Cold - Year of the Spider
Kamelot - The Black Halo
Seventh Wonder - Mercy Falls

[/quote]

Nice, you mentioned by far the best Bodom album!
Also, the Black Halo is an amazing album.
Great listening.

Tool - Lateralus
Tool - Aenima
Metallica - Master of Puppets
DJ Tiesto - In search of sunrise 3
Slayer - Undisputed Attitude

Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon
Bach - Cello Suites
Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin II
Van Halen - Van Halen I
Frank Zappa - Joe’s Garage
Rush - Moving Pictures
Metallica - Master of Puppets
Miles Davis - Kind of Blue
Sugarhill Gang - Sugarhill Gang
Stevie Ray Vaughn - Texas Flood

Massive Attack-Mezzanine

[quote]Rattler wrote:
Rocker3829 wrote:
Just ten off the top of my head without being in any order of importance

Dream Theater - Images and Words
Pagan’s Mind - Enigmatic Calling
Circus Maximus - Isolate
Goo Goo Dolls - Dizzy Up the Girl
Alan Jackson - Who I Am
Atomship - The Crash of '47
Children of Bodom - Follow the Reaper
Cold - Year of the Spider
Kamelot - The Black Halo
Seventh Wonder - Mercy Falls

Nice, you mentioned by far the best Bodom album!
Also, the Black Halo is an amazing album.
Great listening.[/quote]

Thanks man, Follow the Reaper BY FAR my favorite Bodom album (the title track, Children of Decadence, Mask of Sanity etc…) and I am always torn between Epica and The Black Halo, but The Black Halo almost always comes out on top(just can’t beat that collectin of songs for them).

btw, great choice on Ride the Lightning, my fav. Metallica album right there

These aren’t necessarily my favorite albums, but I don’t think any serious music collection would be complete without them.

Miles Davis Quintet - Kind of Blue
The Beatles - Abbey Road
Bob Dylan - Bringing It All Back Home
Bob Marley and The Wailers - Catch a Fire
Pink Floyd - Meddle
Johnny Cash - At Folsom Prison
The Moody Blues - Days of Future Passed
Grateful Dead - American Beauty
Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin III
Sublime - 40oz To Freedom

Alice In Chains - Dirt
Tool - Undertow
Nirvana - MTV Unplugged in New York
Radiohead - The Bends
Radiohead - OK Computer
Red Hot Chili Peppers - By The Way
The Tipping Point - The Roots
Pearl Jam - Vs.
The Pouges - If I Should Fall From Grace With God
A Perfect Circle - Thirteenth Step

No! I cannot count count to 10!

Deep Purple - Machine Head / Made In Japan
Little Feet - Waiting for Columbus
Betty Blowtorch - Are You Man Enough?
Rory Gallagher - Irish Tour “74”
Therion - Lemuria and Sirius B(dual cd)
Soilwork - Natural Born Chaos
Motorhead - Iron Fist / Another Perfect Day
Michael Hedges - Live On The Double Planet
Drain S.T.H. - Horror Wrestling
Eluveitie - Slania
Humble Pie - Eat It
AC/DC - Highway To Hell / Back in Black
Iron Maiden - Number Of The Beast / Powerslave
Gamma Ray - Blast From The Past
Lamb Of God - As The Palaces Burn
Nile - In Their Darkened Shrines
Eths - Soma
Various Artists(from Baby Gramps to Bono to Richard Thompson to Sting to Jack Shit) - Rogue’s Gallery: Pirate Ballads, Sea Songs, and Chanteys
Flight of the Conchords - Flight of the Conchords

[quote]silverblood wrote:
No! I cannot count count to 10!

Deep Purple - Machine Head / Made In Japan
Little Feet - Waiting for Columbus
Betty Blowtorch - Are You Man Enough?
Rory Gallagher - Irish Tour “74”
Therion - Lemuria and Sirius B(dual cd)
Soilwork - Natural Born Chaos
Motorhead - Iron Fist / Another Perfect Day
Michael Hedges - Live On The Double Planet
Drain S.T.H. - Horror Wrestling
Eluveitie - Slania
Humble Pie - Eat It
AC/DC - Highway To Hell / Back in Black
Iron Maiden - Number Of The Beast / Powerslave
Gamma Ray - Blast From The Past
Lamb Of God - As The Palaces Burn
Nile - In Their Darkened Shrines
Eths - Soma
Various Artists(from Baby Gramps to Bono to Richard Thompson to Sting to Jack Shit) - Rogue’s Gallery: Pirate Ballads, Sea Songs, and Chanteys
Flight of the Conchords - Flight of the Conchords[/quote]

dead on with Deep purple, Nile and Michael Hedges!