T Nation

10 - 15 lbs...

Hi!! I am 5’1 and I weigh between 125 to 130 lbs…depending on the day…strange?

Anyway, I need help to lose about 10 llbs. I wanna be the weight I was before my 4th child. It has been 18 months and I can’t seem to lose this last little bit. If that is too much to lose, then anybody got any idea on how to lose and keep off about 5 lbs.

I don’t understand why it is so hard. I even work out every other day and am gaining muscle. But, in your replies, please remember (if possible) that I am a stay at home mom with no chance at all to get to a gym. And, I will be doing everything at home.

I hope I don’t sound like a ding dong in my question but losing these last lbs would sure mean allot to me. Also, I do eat small 4 to 5 meals a day.
I hope it’s enough info. Thanx for any replies.

[quote]ayseoguz wrote:
Hi!! I am 5’1 and I weigh between 125 to 130 lbs…depending on the day…strange?

Anyway, I need help to lose about 10 llbs. I wanna be the weight I was before my 4th child. It has been 18 months and I can’t seem to lose this last little bit. If that is too much to lose, then anybody got any idea on how to lose and keep off about 5 lbs.

I don’t understand why it is so hard. I even work out every other day and am gaining muscle. But, in your replies, please remember (if possible) that I am a stay at home mom with no chance at all to get to a gym. And, I will be doing everything at home.

I hope I don’t sound like a ding dong in my question but losing these last lbs would sure mean allot to me. Also, I do eat small 4 to 5 meals a day.
I hope it’s enough info. Thanx for any replies. [/quote]

i strongly recommend you throw out the scale. if you’re gaining muscle you’ll be getting heavier, but looking much better. the actual number is irrelevant, i assume you’re just interested how you look naked?

Yup chunk the scale. It sounds like you dont have a HUGE fat problem anyways. Also if there is no way at all possible to get to gym, then try to put something together at home.

I would start with a decent set of some plate weights two short bars, and one longer one you can use to squat and or deadlift. As far as what makes a decent set, depends on how much you lift and how fast you progress. I would suggest two of each 2.5, 5, 10, 25, 35, 45 (Lb’s).

Use the search function and look at all different types of exercises. Pick out ones you think you might like, and try them. If you like them then remember them.

I like to print them out and keep them in a binder. Since im fairly new and dont have a ton of them saved up a mental library. Its good however to have a good knowledge of different exercises to keep yourself from getting bored with the same ones.

I’m guessing you don’t want to have the definition of a bodybuilder if you just want to return to your previous ideal weight. While adding muscle will speed up your metabolism, diet will change everything the most.

Drinking plenty of cold water keeps you hydrated, makes you slimmer, and burns calories when your body regulates it to room temperature. I’ve also heard that eating like a baby is a good way to manage weight. Babies don’t eat anything they don’t really want, they only eat when they’re hungry, and they stop when they’ve had enough because they don’t care about not finishing a meal. Following the food pyramid and not taking in calories from liquids is a given.

Any sort of cardio is the best option you have exercise wise. The optimal effort range for loosing fat is working out at 70% of your max heart rate. Your max heart rate is probably 220 minus your age. Before you can burn fat as fuel your body needs to burn off other sources of energy. So fat burning really only starts after 20 minutes of activity.

Crunches and ab work won’t make you slimmer in the mid section. But I’ve heard healthy abs improves digestion.

Oh, and drink green tea. And chew gum to repress snack attacks

Please don’t take the following comments like I’m trying to pick on you, I just noticed some odd things…

[quote]bananaphone wrote:
I’m guessing you don’t want to have the definition of a bodybuilder if you just want to return to your previous ideal weight. While adding muscle will speed up your metabolism, diet will change everything the most.[/quote]

Are you actually suggesting she forgo the weight training and concentrate only on diet?

Very over-exaggerated idea. The actual amount of calories your body burns regulating the temperature of water is negligible, unless the water is -20 degrees.

WTF? Where did you hear this?

Ok this I’ll buy.

Ugggh. Are you getting your nutrition information off of the back of a milk carton?

Whoever is telling you this shit needs to stop.

Oh. My. God.

This truly is the blind leading the blind. I haven’t read the beginners section lately and now I know why. :slight_smile:

[/rant]

Ok…

OP- Those last few stubborn pounds will always be the hardest to lose. Admit to that first and it makes the rest easier.

It is important to build muscle. I don’t think you need to worry about olympic lifting (i.e. squats) but you should do exercises that use a full range of motion. With your circumstances doing bodyweight exercises is probably your best bet. Push ups, lunges, etc. Anything you can do that will put resistance on your muscles.

Do try to get your diet dialed in. For someone trying to get off those last few pounds the most important thing they can do is look at their nutrient timing. Since you don’t train intense, keeping your carbs around your workout may not be beneficial. The other timing options are to take in your daily carbs early in the day, with protein at every meal, and then take in your daily fats at the end of the day, again with protein at every meal. This is what is commonly referred to as the P+C and P+F diet scheme. Do some searching on it or ask questions if you’re not sure about it.

As for cardio- don’t overdo it and lose any of the muscle you already have. There have been a couple good articles written lately discussing cardio. The big debate now is low intensity vs. higher intensity, and which is better for fat loss. I think, and I agree, the general consensus is that HIIT is better for fat loss than lower intensity. Do you have access to any cardio type equipment?

I don’t know how much you know about any of this, so please forgive me if I sound condescending. Let me know if you have any other specific questions and I’ll try to help out if I can.

Good luck.

[quote]eengrms76 wrote:
Please don’t take the following comments like I’m trying to pick on you, I just noticed some odd things…

bananaphone wrote:
I’m guessing you don’t want to have the definition of a bodybuilder if you just want to return to your previous ideal weight. While adding muscle will speed up your metabolism, diet will change everything the most.

Are you actually suggesting she forgo the weight training and concentrate only on diet?

Drinking plenty of cold water keeps you hydrated, makes you slimmer, and burns calories when your body regulates it to room temperature.

Very over-exaggerated idea. The actual amount of calories your body burns regulating the temperature of water is negligible, unless the water is -20 degrees.

I’ve also heard that eating like a baby is a good way to manage weight. Babies don’t eat anything they don’t really want, they only eat when they’re hungry, and they stop when they’ve had enough because they don’t care about not finishing a meal.

WTF? Where did you hear this?

Following the food pyramid and not taking in calories from liquids is a given.

Ok this I’ll buy.

Before you can burn fat as fuel your body needs to burn off other sources of energy. So fat burning really only starts after 20 minutes of activity.

Ugggh. Are you getting your nutrition information off of the back of a milk carton?

Crunches and ab work won’t make you slimmer in the mid section. But I’ve heard healthy abs improves digestion.

Whoever is telling you this shit needs to stop.

Oh, and drink green tea. And chew gum to repress snack attacks

Oh. My. God.

This truly is the blind leading the blind. I haven’t read the beginners section lately and now I know why. :slight_smile:

[/rant]

Ok…

OP- Those last few stubborn pounds will always be the hardest to lose. Admit to that first and it makes the rest easier.

It is important to build muscle. I don’t think you need to worry about olympic lifting (i.e. squats) but you should do exercises that use a full range of motion. With your circumstances doing bodyweight exercises is probably your best bet. Push ups, lunges, etc. Anything you can do that will put resistance on your muscles.

Do try to get your diet dialed in. For someone trying to get off those last few pounds the most important thing they can do is look at their nutrient timing. Since you don’t train intense, keeping your carbs around your workout may not be beneficial. The other timing options are to take in your daily carbs early in the day, with protein at every meal, and then take in your daily fats at the end of the day, again with protein at every meal. This is what is commonly referred to as the P+C and P+F diet scheme. Do some searching on it or ask questions if you’re not sure about it.

As for cardio- don’t overdo it and lose any of the muscle you already have. There have been a couple good articles written lately discussing cardio. The big debate now is low intensity vs. higher intensity, and which is better for fat loss. I think, and I agree, the general consensus is that HIIT is better for fat loss than lower intensity. Do you have access to any cardio type equipment?

I don’t know how much you know about any of this, so please forgive me if I sound condescending. Let me know if you have any other specific questions and I’ll try to help out if I can.

Good luck.[/quote]

GREAT POST!! I agree with it all aside from the agreeing with following the POS food pyramid with its emphasis on simple carbs limited fats and protein.

Nail a simple and smart diet, a solid training program based in resistance training ans with some cardio. Make the stepsm mke things HABIT, the food, the training make steps dont over whelm yourself. once tings are automatic add a bit more. you will gradually make stellar progress and wont burn out and quite like most who try and changhe EVERYTHING at once.

Phill

[quote]Phill wrote:
I agree with it all aside from the agreeing with following the POS food pyramid with its emphasis on simple carbs limited fats and protein.[/quote]

LOL.

Come on I had to find something redeeming in there.

[quote]bananaphone wrote:

Drinking plenty of cold water keeps you hydrated, makes you slimmer, and burns calories when your body regulates it to room temperature. I’ve also heard that eating like a baby is a good way to manage weight. Babies don’t eat anything they don’t really want, they only eat when they’re hungry, and they stop when they’ve had enough because they don’t care about not finishing a meal. Following the food pyramid and not taking in calories from liquids is a given.

Any sort of cardio is the best option you have exercise wise. The optimal effort range for loosing fat is working out at 70% of your max heart rate. Your max heart rate is probably 220 minus your age. Before you can burn fat as fuel your body needs to burn off other sources of energy. So fat burning really only starts after 20 minutes of activity.

Oh, and drink green tea. And chew gum to repress snack attacks [/quote]

NO. I’m sorry if I seem like a dick, but NO. You yourself are a newbie here, and obviously you have not availed yourself of the phenomenal amount of information here. I’m sorry, but this post makes me dumber every time I read it. In order to give sound advice, it is usually good for one to use their brain first and do some self-educating, followed by self-application.

I do agree with the following things, however: green tea is very good for you, chewing gum can work in a pinch if you have no other option for suppressing hunger/cravings, and nutrition/diet changes things the most.

However, the rest of your post is, well, crappy. In fact, just some reading of the last two weeks of articles should have pointed that out to you (particularly on the cardio). Do some reading for yourself first, get some more experience, try giving advice to people once you yourself have passed the newbie stage, ok?

I know this post will be construed as a personal attack, even though it was not meant as such, but I frankly don’t care. I have spent the last 6 years of my life researching both nutrition and exercise, and there are many people here (not to mention the contributing authors) that are more experienced than I am. You should listen to them.

I am getting very frustrated with people posting ill-conceived advice to newbies, who are among the most easily confused and most gullible people out there. And yes, I can give you specific reasons your post is off-base, but I don’t want to write a novel here.

“The ideal body cannot be created in 3 easy steps. Hard work and critical thinking are required.”

end rant.

To the original poster–

Listen to eengrams and Phill, also some of the forum vets here. I have a lot of things to say, but it’s late and I’m tired, so I will try to get back to this thread later. Just remember this–consistency and hard work is key. Diet is the next key, and finally educating yourself is the last key to success.

DO NOT “diet”. “Dieting” leads only to failure because it entails a mentality that believes in temporary fixes and this mentality leads easily to the “magic pill/quick fix/infomercial” mentality, which ultimately leads to failure.

It also carries the connotation of moderate to severe calorie restriction, which is counter-productive when trying to keep muscle mass/“tone” (shudder) or keep a revved up metabolism. Think “nutrition”. Think “lifestyle change”. Think “fat loss” not “weight loss”.

Throw away the scale. Why? Well, because I’ve seen absolutely foxy women weighing in at 160-170lb or more, as well as foxy women weighing in at 110-115lb. The only thing in common with all the women is that they look amazing. Muscle weighs more than fat per the same amount of volume it takes up, so you end up taking up less space and looking tighter, sexier, and slimmer, but possibly weighing the same or more.

Besides, you need your muscle to rev up your metabolism. It’s what drives further fat loss. I’ll let others talk about the exercise for now.

Finally, I suggest you look up the T-vixen sorority forum. Those girls are sharp, sexy, and know their stuff. You’ll be in good hands, not that there aren’t good people capable of giving advice here.