10,000 Hours

As mentioned, the 10,000 hour rule refers to a skill.

Having a great body isn’t a “skill” per se, but it takes “skill” to get one.

Played violin for 14 years from the age of 3. 4 hour’s a day? Not a chance.

Had a really bad teacher. Excellent Violinist. But he turned me against it. Did well in highschool band picked up a couple more instruments. An hour a week tops maybe. Didn’t have the drive.

Then I wanted to learn to play the piano. Taught myself in a year. Started writing music and recording some “albums”. It was the best success I ever had with music and I still come back to the keyboard when there’s time between my studies.

Enjoying what you do gives you the drive to get your 10,000 hours, positive mentors help. They’ve studied the world’s great minds through history and discovered that most had notable mentors, one on one instruction, constant encouragement.

I believe that the potential of individuals is enormously squandered. It ticks me off when people say I have artistic or musical “talent”, like I have it easier than they do. There’s a myth that there are these talented “chosen ones” that rather than uplifting people keeps them down.

interesting. since I moved to la to continue pursuing my craft I’ve met many people in my field. Even the ones that have attained marginal success say they plugged away ten or so years…10,000 hours…sounds about right. There are always going be exceptions though.

I don’t think you can apply this 10000 hours thing to bodybuilding. Bodybuilding is not skill based. You can’t just “practice” body building. Alot of it is genetics and nutrition which time has no effect on.

[quote]Invictica wrote:
I don’t think you can apply this 10000 hours thing to bodybuilding. Bodybuilding is not skill based. You can’t just “practice” body building. Alot of it is genetics and nutrition which time has no effect on.[/quote]

Exactly. You can’t just spend more time training and become a better bodybuilder. Part of becoming a great bodybuilder is knowing your body’s limits of training and recovery. Overdoing it can be detrimental.

Anyway, let’s say you train 1 hr. a day, 5 days a week. with one week off for cns recovery during the year. That’s 255 hours per year spent training. Which would mean that you would need to spend 39.2 years training at that rate to become a great bodybuilder…

…yeah…I don’t think it applies.

http://www.vdare.com/sailer/081221_malcolm.htm

[quote]Invictica wrote:
I don’t think you can apply this 10000 hours thing to bodybuilding. Bodybuilding is not skill based. You can’t just “practice” body building. Alot of it is genetics and nutrition which time has no effect on.[/quote]

among other things

[quote]Invictica wrote:

Not picking on just you but by this post I felt the need to just reply and stop reading…

I would say yes, it takes about 10000 hours to become GREAT at bodybuilding. that 10000 hours isnt just lifting, its reading about lifting, practicing, food prep, and everything else. Keeping that in mind, then yes, to become one of the BEST, not just good, but top 10, yes, 10000 hours seem very reasonable to me.