1 Yr Serious Lifting. Criticism Welcome

[quote]tykraus7 wrote:
I recently started training 6 days a week (Arnold beginner program with a couple tweeks).

Mon - Chest/Back
Flat BB bench - 4x8
Incline DB press - 4x10
DB flyes - 3x10

Chins - 10x5 (increasing the reps each time)
Rows - 8x8
Deads 10,6,4

Tues - Shoulders,Arms
Seated DB press 4x8
lateral raises 3x10
push press 10,6,4

bb curl 3x8
seated DB curl 3x8

dips - 45 pound weight and 35 pound weight 3x8
Tricep rope press down - 3x8

Wednesday - Legs
Squats 4x8
Lunges 4x8
Leg curls 3x8
Romanian DL 10,6,4

Then I repeat each day once more then rest on Saturday.

I eat carbs (fruit) in the morning and PWO and that’s it otherwise healthy fats and protein. I have only been in a mass phase for a little less than 3 weeks now.[/quote]

Now there are lots of different ways to train, so I’m not saying that 6 days a week can’t work for some. But that is alot of work, particularly as you repeat it and therefore have 2 lots of all the big moves (squats, deads, benches etc) in each week. You’re young so your recoverys prob pretty good, but this still may not be the optimal way for you to train to put on mass.

I was a bit confused by you saying 6 days and then listing that you do m,t,w repeat and then have Sat off. Did you mean that you do m,t,w rpt and then have Sun off?? or do you train 5 days, 1 off??

Do you perform the exes in this order? I find it hard to see how you would be able to give a good intensity for deadlifts after you’ve done 3 chest exes then chins and rows first.

Anyway, you say you’ve just started this prog, what were you doing before? it obviously gave you some results. If you’re keen on doing a split prog, I’d suggest looking at some of Thibs progs.

Oops I meant that I started on Sunday not Monday so that’s why that was confusing sorry. And yeah I am not really liking my program that I am on now so I’m switching it up since it’s been 3 weeks. I was doing Rippetoes before that.

The poses aren’t the best, but I think you look pretty good.

Of course the standards here are uber-high, and you do have some weak points already mentioned, but I think you look good over all.

Doesn’t your camera have a timer? I think a proper front bi’s, rear bi’s, lat spread and shot of the legs would give us a MUCH better idea of your physique.

Yeah I realize that the poses suck. Not sure if it has a timer but I’ll check it out and do my best to get some good pics up.

So I have switched up my training. I no longer lift 6 days a week and my current split looks like this:

M - Chest/Back

W - Arms

TH - Shoulders/Abs

F - Leg day

I have found that I don’t feel as run down and drained as I did when I lifted 6 days a week (no shit eh).

[quote]tykraus7 wrote:
So I have switched up my training. I no longer lift 6 days a week and my current split looks like this:

M - Chest/Back

W - Arms

TH - Shoulders/Abs

F - Leg day

I have found that I don’t feel as run down and drained as I did when I lifted 6 days a week (no shit eh).[/quote]

you might wanna switch your leg day with your arms day in order to give your bis and tris some time to recover from your chest/back day (cause you do work your bis/tris indirectly on a chest/back day)

Well I realized the other day that I’m a huge weak pussy so I’ve decided to go back to the basics. I started Rippetoe’s beginner’s program to try to get much stronger and pack on some more mass before I worry about anything else. So here it is, I started yesterday and will be lifting T,R,Sat because that is what the program calls for.

Yesterday I did squats at 225 below parallel 3x5. Bench 205 3x5, Deadlift 245 1x5 and one set of chin ups with a 10lb weight for 8 reps.

I could have done more with each exercise but the point is to get stronger each time so I didn’t want to stall too soon. I am hoping to get the big 3 over 300 for each. I will be doing this until summer to put on some actual strength.

Just joining in the chorus that you’re definitely not 15%. 8-10% is more like it. Good job for 1 year of serious lifting. You think you’re worse than you really are, but we all want to be better than we are right now, right?

[quote]BF Bullpup wrote:
Just joining in the chorus that you’re definitely not 15%. 8-10% is more like it. Good job for 1 year of serious lifting. You think you’re worse than you really are, but we all want to be better than we are right now, right?[/quote]

Well when I said that my rating was a 3 so I felt that was a bit low. I feel like my rating right now is fair. I just want to get a lot stronger before I worry about hypertrophy and I feel like I never really got going on Deadlift and Squats.