1 Year Transformation: 5 ft 8 Male, 24 YO 69kg (152lbs)

Hi guys,

I’m new to this forum, been reading some stuff on here and decided to upload a picture of my 1 year transformation as I’m still not sure where to go from here.

So two years ago I got diagnosed with late stage neurological Lyme disease which messed up my joints, and caused all sorts of psychological issues. Depression, anxiety, paranoia and ended up in a psychosis. I got heavy antibiotic treatment in February 2016, and I seem to have fully recovered. In the beginning of august last year I decided to get my life back on track and felt weightlifting was the best therapy for my body but mostly my mind. I cannot explain how much it has helped me the past year.

Anyway, so I’ve been doing intermittent fasting since the start (first meal around 3pm, last meal 10pm) with a short clean bulk every two months or so (2 week bulk). I train relatively heavy, with super sets, drop sets etc. my diet consists of whole foods (mostly organic), I cut out most sugar from my diet and I eat much smaller amounts of carbs than I used to. For the rest I take a protein shake after my workout, and a black coffee before my workout. That’s pretty much it. I worked out 6 days a week the first 5 months, now it’s down to 4.

The picture on the left I weighed 78kg (172lbs) with a body fat percentage of around 20%, the picture on the right was two days ago, there my weight was 69kg (152lbs) with a body fat percentage of around 10%, maybe a little less but haven’t found a very accurate way of measuring it.

So my question is, I’ve kind of reached my 1 year goal (wanted to be 70kg), but I need a new goal for the coming year. I want to gain around 5 to 7 kilos (11 - 15.5 lbs) of muscle mass in the next year, but people I have spoken to have said that I would look ridiculously out of proportion for my height at that weight. What do you guys think?

2 Likes

Well done! In one year you have absolutely killed it!

As for goals, only you can really answer that. I don’t think adding 5kg of quality mass is going to look funny though. Other goals may be

• Set weight targets on certain lifts
  • Learn or increase your Olympic Lifts
  • Shred down and compete in physique
  • Put your muscles to work in a new sport
1 Like

Thanks man, appreciate it! Good to know you think 5kg of added mass wouldn’t look odd, everyone I spoke to kept mentioning that, so I just wanted to hear that from experienced weightlifters.

I think I’m going to set more weight targets as you mentioned, and just overall try to perfect my physique by shredding down a little and working on certain weak areas.

Also, when you hit a plateau with regard to fat loss, would you recommend to eat fewer calories, bulk up so the added muscle mass will burn off more fat, or do cardio on the side? Which is most effective in your experience?

Anyway, thanks for commenting.