Thanks, mediocrity!!

[quote]Professor X wrote:

[quote]stinger70 wrote:
I have the worst genetics imaginable, [/quote]

Yeah…we all did.[/quote]

want to compare with me ?

Mathieu

[quote]flipcollar wrote:
I wish I had stinger’s genetics. I’m 5’10, and my genetics landed me at 125 lbs before I started lifting.
[/quote]

Not being funny but that puts you 4 inches shorter and only 10lbs lighter to start with, so probably bigger than i started:P But well done on the progress if your avi is anything to go by.

In terms of routine, I’ve only been on this ‘PHAT’ split for about 3 weeks. I’ve been on starting strength, then had a hip injury. To be honest i have wasted a fair bit of time due to my old gym being crap, and then getting injured, as well as various periods where i had to stay away from home and use crap gyms and struggle to get good food. That is all behind me now so i expect to see better results. I find 5 x 5 and SS pretty boring routines, plus i want to train 4 days per week. Im happy on the current routine because i’ve made better strength gains in these 3 weeks than i have in ages, 3-4 rep training seems to really help me. Im just trying to add 5lbs per week to my 3-5RM and force my strength up that way, so far so good. When i was on SS i made hardly any upper body gains, my bench stalled so fast. Also i have improved my core and hip stability a lot since then so i can squat heavier and with better form, as it was never my leg strength that was limiting me.

My diet currently is 3900 calories, 200-220 protein, 140 fat, 400+ carbs. Im gaining weight a bit too fast on that if anything. I have an oats/whey/milk shake twice a day, or casein at night. I mostly eat brown rice, brown pasta, lean ground beef, sometimes chicken, venison, a few eggs from my own chickens!

A fair bit of wholemeal bread, fromage frais, bananas, sometimes i will just eat a whole frozen pizza as a cheat/to hit calories. Also EVOO in my shakes at night if im short on calories. Supplements are creatine (just started), 2.5g omega 3, and a multi.

[quote]stinger70 wrote:
In terms of routine, I’ve only been on this ‘PHAT’ split for about 3 weeks. […] I find 5 x 5 and SS pretty boring routines, plus i want to train 4 days per week. Im happy on the current routine because i’ve made better strength gains in these 3 weeks than i have in ages, 3-4 rep training seems to really help me. Im just trying to add 5lbs per week to my 3-5RM and force my strength up that way, so far so good. When i was on SS i made hardly any upper body gains, my bench stalled so fast.[/quote]

Sounds like you’re happy with what you’re doing, and it’s working for you, at least so far. I also found SS boring, so when I got injured (unrelated) I didn’t come back to it. Not saying it doesn’t work, but it just didn’t seem to be a good program for me either. It does seem to be a good starting point though, and it’s good you gave it a chance.

I’m doing a 20rep squat program now - 20 reps of squats + a full body workout, 2-3x a week. Also doing some “assistance” work for arms and shoulders. Seems to be working.

So yeah, if you just started that 3 weeks ago, I’d give that routine some time to see how it works for you. No need to change it.

That’s awesome you get fresh eggs like that.

As far as your diet, personally, I’d up the fat, and drop the carbs. But I only have 2 months of “real life” experience with that, so take that for what it’s worth.

[quote]stinger70 wrote:

[quote]flipcollar wrote:
I wish I had stinger’s genetics. I’m 5’10, and my genetics landed me at 125 lbs before I started lifting.
[/quote]

Not being funny but that puts you 4 inches shorter and only 10lbs lighter to start with, so probably bigger than i started:P But well done on the progress if your avi is anything to go by.

[/quote]

Splitting hairs sir. And thanks.

My whole point was that nobody actually knows their genetic potential when they start out, or are even a few years deep into lifting. You have NO IDEA where you could be in 5-10 years if you work hard. Only 1 way to find out…

[quote]stinger70 wrote:
At 220lbs you would look massive, surely you cant get there natty. [/quote]

Thanks, mediocrity!! [/quote]

I was thinking this also. Now, I’m not “ripped” or “shredded”, but I’m ~230 pounds at 6’2". It’s not as “massive” as you think. More like the beginning stages of not being small anymore.

[quote]Chris87 wrote:

[quote]stinger70 wrote:

I was thinking this also. Now, I’m not “ripped” or “shredded”, but I’m ~230 pounds at 6’2". It’s not as “massive” as you think. More like the beginning stages of not being small anymore.[/quote]

Once people start telling everyone what they can’t achieve, it’s a slippery slope.

[quote]Chris87 wrote:

[quote]stinger70 wrote:

I was thinking this also. Now, I’m not “ripped” or “shredded”, but I’m ~230 pounds at 6’2". It’s not as “massive” as you think. More like the beginning stages of not being small anymore.[/quote]

Once people start telling everyone what they can’t achieve, it’s a slippery slope.[/quote]

Last year I was at 230 with a 36 inch waist. And with a shirt on, it was barely noticeable. Muscle is considerably denser than fat as we all know, so I’m pretty sure that at 220 @ 10% or so I would be big, but not huge or ridiculous.

Arn’t you pretty tall as well X? I though I remember you being 6’+.

I would be well happy with a physique like this. The guy is natty and weighs 187 at 6 foot. He was bigger than i am now before he started though and hasnt been training that long. There is a video of him benching 140kg, deadlifting 210kg and squat about 130 i think. Even though to you guys you will probably say he is small, i feel like im a million miles away from this physique which the guy attained quickly without assistance. I dont think anything close to as aesthetic as this physique is possible with my proportions and insertions, but i will keep lifting until i achieve simialr stats at least.

[quote]stinger70 wrote:

I would be well happy with a physique like this. The guy is natty and weighs 187 at 6 foot. He was bigger than i am now before he started though and hasnt been training that long. There is a video of him benching 140kg, deadlifting 210kg and squat about 130 i think. Even though to you guys you will probably say he is small, i feel like im a million miles away from this physique which the guy attained quickly without assistance. I dont think anything close to as aesthetic as this physique is possible with my proportions and insertions, but i will keep lifting until i achieve simialr stats at least.[/quote]

He’s bigger than me, but he IS small, imo. But the guys around here can help you head in that direction. It’s not held as the ideal around here (and frequently gets mocked), but that should be pretty achievable for you in a couple years. Maybe not with those exact proportions, but to get to that level of muscle + leanness.

Just an update, currently at 194lb, so 7lb since i posted this. squat 1rm is up to probably 255, bench 165, BB rowing 160 for reps pretty easily. Really struggling to make improvements on bench now. Im up to 4100 calories and my weight is only just creeping up now whereas it went up pretty easily before. All my fat is stored in my glutes, so im starting to look really disproportional, and its very hard to judge BF because of this. I have to wear size 36 trousers but my waist is only 33. What should i do once i reach say 205lb? Hold that weight for a while and try and recomp?