T Nation

1 Year of Survival Food.....From Costco

I guess there is a market for people wanting 1 year of survival food. 78 gallons of food for $799.99!

Anyone want a pile of this crap in your basement?

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11487214

Shelf Reliance is your premier source for food storage and emergency preparedness planning. Because nothing is more important than the health and safety of your family, they provide only top-of-the-line products. Shelf Relianceâ??s line of THRIVE Foods are held to the highest standards. All THRIVE Foods have been developed with everyday menu planning in mind; however, they are also designed to be added to your long term food storage. With their great taste and simple preparation, THRIVE foods are the perfect place to turn for healthy, delicious meals anytime.

The THRIVE 1 Year Food Supply comes complete with 78 #10 cans ranging 5 food groups: grains, fruits, veggies, meats & beans and dairy. With over 4,700 servings and many foods with a shelf life of up to 20 years, this package will give you variety, nutrition, and peace of mind. In addition to the high quality foods this package provides, a wheat grinder is included.

1 Year Food Supply for 1 Person
6 Month Food Supply for 2 People
3 Month Food Supply for 4 People
Shipment arrives in 14 separate boxes
Freeze-dried products have up to a 20 year shelf life if unopened
Dehydrated products have up to a 10 year shelf life if unopened
Simple rehydration instructions, recipes, and helpful tips on each can
4723 total servings
Seventy-eight #10 cans
Wheat Grinder included
This THRIVE 1 Year Food & Storage contains 78 #10 (gallon size) cans and 1 Grain Mill grinder. See below for specific package contents.

Grains

3 Cans of Instant White Rice (48 servings per can)
9 Cans of Hard White Winter Wheat (44 servings per can)
1 Wheat Grinder
3 Cans of Spaghetti (32 servings per can)

Vegetables

6 Cans of Potato Chunks (42 servings per can)
3 Cans of Freeze-Dried Sweet Corn (54 servings per can)
3 Cans of Freeze-Dried Green Peas (41 servings per can)
3 Cans of Freeze-Dried Chopped Onions (50 servings per can)
1 Can of Freeze-Dried Cauliflower (43 servings per can)
1 Can of Freeze-Dried Broccoli (47 servings per can)
Fruits

3 Cans of Organic Apple Slices (17 servings per can)
3 Cans of Freeze-Dried Strawberries (43 servings per can)
2 Cans of Freeze-Dried Blueberries (50 servings per can)
2 Cans of Freeze-Dried Raspberries (48 servings per can)

Dairy

3 Cans of Instant Milk (65 servings per can)
3 Cans of Chocolate Drink Mix (65 servings per can)
3 Cans of Cheese Blend (36 servings per can)

Proteins/Beans

The taste and texture of TVP (Textured Vegetable Protein) is consistent with real meat, making it a great addition to vegetarian diets
6 Cans of Bacon TVP (54 servings per can)
3 Cans of Beef TVP (44 servings per can)
3 Cans of Chicken TVP (45 servings per can)
3 Cans of Taco TVP (42 servings per can)
3 Cans of Pinto Beans (49 servings per can)
3 Cans of Lentils (52 servings per can)
6 Cans of Whole Eggs (236 servings per can)

That is an absolutely amazing deal.

cheap way to bulk?

Did you watch the video? Disturbing…

college students, conspiracy theorists and terrorists will love this.

I can only imagine the effects of eating that Shit for a year could have. TVP!!!

[quote]sevenmoist wrote:
I can only imagine the effects of eating that Shit for a year could have. TVP!!![/quote]

You do realize this is an emergency food supply right? The effects of eating it for a year are probably a lot better alternative to not eating for a year.

DB

Can anybody find how many calories this whole package is?

You never know when a Zombie seige may break out!

[quote]dollarbill44 wrote:
sevenmoist wrote:
I can only imagine the effects of eating that Shit for a year could have. TVP!!!

You do realize this is an emergency food supply right? The effects of eating it for a year are probably a lot better alternative to not eating for a year.

DB[/quote]

Even still. You’d be better off just stocking up on some Metabolic Drive and Superfood…

Hah, so reminds me of the Dharma Initiative food they find in Lost before all the time travel nonsense started.

[quote]SteelyD wrote:
You never know when a Zombie seige may break out![/quote]

www.zombietools.net

GOtcha covered…

Grains

14400: 3 Cans of Instant White Rice (48 servings per can)
64320: 9 Cans of Hard White Winter Wheat (44 servings per can)
20160: 3 Cans of Spaghetti (32 servings per can)

Vegetables

19680: 6 Cans of Potato Chunks (42 servings per can)
4305: 3 Cans of Freeze-Dried Sweet Corn (54 servings per can)
6150: 3 Cans of Freeze-Dried Green Peas (41 servings per can)
9600: 3 Cans of Freeze-Dried Chopped Onions (50 servings per can)
450: 1 Can of Freeze-Dried Cauliflower (43 servings per can)
520: 1 Can of Freeze-Dried Broccoli (47 servings per can)
Fruits

3510: 3 Cans of Organic Apple Slices (17 servings per can)
1935: 3 Cans of Freeze-Dried Strawberries (43 servings per can)
1600: 2 Cans of Freeze-Dried Blueberries (50 servings per can)
950: 2 Cans of Freeze-Dried Raspberries (48 servings per can)

Dairy

19200: 3 Cans of Instant Milk (65 servings per can)
15840: 3 Cans of Chocolate Drink Mix (65 servings per can)
21840: 3 Cans of Cheese Blend (36 servings per can)

Proteins/Beans

26400: 6 Cans of Bacon TVP (54 servings per can)
11880: 3 Cans of Beef TVP (44 servings per can)
9600: 3 Cans of Chicken TVP (45 servings per can)
14400: 3 Cans of Taco TVP (42 servings per can)
11760: 3 Cans of Pinto Beans (49 servings per can)
17160: 3 Cans of Lentils (52 servings per can)
47670: 6 Cans of Whole Eggs (236 servings per can)

Grand total: 346,330 kcals, or 973 kcals/day if this is actually going to stretch to a whole year’s worth of food for one person like the site says.

[quote]rholdnr wrote:
dollarbill44 wrote:
sevenmoist wrote:

DB

Even still. You’d be better off just stocking up on some Metabolic Drive and Superfood…[/quote]

Don’t forget the Flameout and FA3. Gotta get those fats somewhere.

[quote]rholdnr wrote:
dollarbill44 wrote:
sevenmoist wrote:

DB

Even still. You’d be better off just stocking up on some Metabolic Drive and Superfood…[/quote]

It’s funny you mention this. While I sat bored at work today, I started thinking that if I ever built a bomb shelter and needed food for a year that required no cooking, I would pretty much load up with Metabolic Drive Complete, Superfood, Flameout, and FiniBar’s. Weird to think about…but a heck of a lot better then living off of texturized vegetable protein for a year!

[quote]Xab wrote:
Grains

14400: 3 Cans of Instant White Rice (48 servings per can)
64320: 9 Cans of Hard White Winter Wheat (44 servings per can)
20160: 3 Cans of Spaghetti (32 servings per can)

Vegetables

19680: 6 Cans of Potato Chunks (42 servings per can)
4305: 3 Cans of Freeze-Dried Sweet Corn (54 servings per can)
6150: 3 Cans of Freeze-Dried Green Peas (41 servings per can)
9600: 3 Cans of Freeze-Dried Chopped Onions (50 servings per can)
450: 1 Can of Freeze-Dried Cauliflower (43 servings per can)
520: 1 Can of Freeze-Dried Broccoli (47 servings per can)
Fruits

3510: 3 Cans of Organic Apple Slices (17 servings per can)
1935: 3 Cans of Freeze-Dried Strawberries (43 servings per can)
1600: 2 Cans of Freeze-Dried Blueberries (50 servings per can)
950: 2 Cans of Freeze-Dried Raspberries (48 servings per can)

Dairy

19200: 3 Cans of Instant Milk (65 servings per can)
15840: 3 Cans of Chocolate Drink Mix (65 servings per can)
21840: 3 Cans of Cheese Blend (36 servings per can)

Proteins/Beans

26400: 6 Cans of Bacon TVP (54 servings per can)
11880: 3 Cans of Beef TVP (44 servings per can)
9600: 3 Cans of Chicken TVP (45 servings per can)
14400: 3 Cans of Taco TVP (42 servings per can)
11760: 3 Cans of Pinto Beans (49 servings per can)
17160: 3 Cans of Lentils (52 servings per can)
47670: 6 Cans of Whole Eggs (236 servings per can)

Grand total: 346,330 kcals, or 973 kcals/day if this is actually going to stretch to a whole year’s worth of food for one person like the site says.

[/quote]

Thanks, this is more like 6 months worth of food then… at under a thousand cals a day I don’t think you could last. Thoughts?

if you were going to be locked in a bomb shelter for a year, I assume your activity levels would plummet, along with your metabolism and muscle tissue. 973kcals might even get you skinny fat after a few months!
I know quite a few chicks, and unfortunately, a few guys, who claim to subsist on similar daily calorie levels

[quote]rundymc wrote:
if you were going to be locked in a bomb shelter for a year, I assume your activity levels would plummet, along with your metabolism and muscle tissue. 973kcals might even get you skinny fat after a few months!
I know quite a few chicks, and unfortunately, a few guys, who claim to subsist on similar daily calorie levels[/quote]

agreed. however, wouldn’t you want to continue to exercise in the shelter to keep your strength and cardio levels up, for when you DO go outside?

[quote]HolyMacaroni wrote:
rundymc wrote:
I know quite a few chicks, and unfortunately, a few guys, who claim to subsist on similar daily calorie levels

agreed. however, wouldn’t you want to continue to exercise in the shelter to keep your strength and cardio levels up, for when you DO go outside?[/quote]

Fuck if a bunch of zombies are going to stop me from squatting.

[quote]rrjc5488 wrote:
HolyMacaroni wrote:
rundymc wrote:

agreed. however, wouldn’t you want to continue to exercise in the shelter to keep your strength and cardio levels up, for when you DO go outside?

Fuck if a bunch of zombies are going to stop me from squatting.[/quote]

I couldn’t imagine life without a weekly squat session. Gotta remember to put a power rack in my bomb shelter if I ever get one, heh.

Seriously though, when I went through Jungle Survival (8 days, 12-15hrs of hiking with 25-30kg on your person, 600kcal of food a day) back in National Service, I didn’t lose as much muscle as I thought I would. My carbed up weight back then was just under 170lbs, and I got back weighing around 155lbs (ard 160 after carbing up, 165 a couple of weeks after). not bad for a supposed 3000kcal daily deficit and minimal protein intake.

I guess my point is the body does adapt pretty well in that type of situation, adjusts its metabolic levels and all that. I remember getting really deep sleep that week, and waking up totally refreshed. I wouldn’t do Sheiko or something on that kind of diet. But squatting and benching twice a week to hold on to some gains may not be out of the question. Then again, I starved for 8 days, we’re talking a whole year here.