1 Week Before First Powerlifting Meet, Take Week Off?

First time in a powerlifting meet, my trainer told me to take a week off before the competition and only walk and strectch the muscle. I found it ‘‘special’’ to take a week off before a competition, what do you guys think of this ? is it the only coach to do that ?

Pretty common. Some folks take an entire week off, some do some light work to get blood flowing, some still hit the comp lifts, but don’t even approach opener weight, etc.

ok cool ! i might do some light work just to keep the nervous system active, or maybe not i will see how i feel !

thanks

For all my meets so far I have worked up to my openers for squat and bench on the week of the meet, either Monday or Tuesday, this is a slight modification to Mike Tuchscherer’s standard peaking plan (he would have you work up to your deadlift opener as well) and it has worked for me so far. Some people think that working up to openers is too heavy, but the way I see it your openers are probably too heavy if you can’t handle that. Of course if you have a 2000lb+ total then I can see how that might cause too much fatigue.

That said, if you have a coach then follow his plan. What you are describing is nothing unusual, if it doesn’t work out as planned then there are different options for next time. There is no “best” way, only the way that works for you and you can only figure that out through trial and error. Listen to the coach!

2 Likes

As a beginner, I would recommend that you work in the 80% range the last week to maintain volume and skill. For example for a Saturday meet:

Sunday:
Bench press - 80% for 5 x 5, Drop set light 1 x 10
Tricep assistance

Monday:
Squat - 80% for 3 x 5
Deadlift - 70% for 3 singles

Thursday
Squat - 50% for 3 singles
Deadlift 50% for 3 singles
Bench press - 70% for 3 x 3

As a beginner, you don’t need to take a week off because your training weights are not high enough to create systemic fatigue. If you take a week off, you will likely de-condition and feel flat on meet day.

All weights above will be with competitive technique and equipment (signals, paused bench, belt, sleeves/wraps, timing etc.).

its not because its my first ‘‘meet’’ that my weight are beginner, im going for a 500 + squat, 600+ deadlift and 360 + bench at 198 pound.

trust me my fatigue is high

Do what your coach said. He is your coach for a reason. If he said walk and stretch then walk and stretch. If you cant trust him fully hire some one else.

3 Likes

If this is your first meet, you are a beginner. It has nothing to do with how much weight you can lift. A strong beginner is still a beginner.

You said that my training weight is not high enough to create fatigue … thats why i said that

2 Likes

Not high enough IN YOUR CASE.

Sensitive, are we?

Just for another view point I 100% disagree with what Jbackos is suggesting. I personally wouldn’t want you going over 60% for a few doubles a week out of a meet and for sure not 80% for 3x5. But just my opinion. With that being said. Neither, myself nor Jbackos are your coach. So, for now don’t listen to either of us.

Do what your coach says.

My coach has me on a specific peaking program to get ready for a meet, followed by a week (sometimes only 6 days) off. I got PRs in all of my meets and last year I PR’d in all three lifts.

1 Like

You’re forgetting one other factor. Many of the programs we find on the internet which have extended pre-meet deload periods are intended for lifters on PED’s. In addition to building muscle/strength faster, and speeding recovery, PED’s allow the lifter to retain more mass during periods of very low volume, and/or weight cuts.

I assume the OP is natural, hence my recommendations. Also, the fact that he came on a public forum to ask for opinions is an indication that he already has doubts about his coach’s recommendation. To just tell him “listen to your coach” doesn’t help him.

Im not forgetting anything. I have seen what I said work 100% just fine for natural lifters and juiced to the gills lifters. I don’t agree with what your telling him to do at all. If it works for you fine. But, I don’t think it’s best natural or not, beginner or not. I’m not gonna argue with you or debate it so I’ll leave it at this and I won’t mention it again. My point has been made, yours has been made, up to the OP at this point.

As for listening to his coach my exact words were if you can’t trust him fully then hire some one else. Telling him to just cokmpletelu ignore what his coach has set up and go completely against him is definetly not helping him either.

With that being said whether he trusts him or has his doubts now he might as well finish with him and see what happens. Randomly listening to 2 or 3 random dudes on the internet a week out of his meet is a sure fire way to help screw up.

Im not forgetting anything. I have seen what I said work 100% just fine for natural lifters and juiced to the gills lifters. I don’t agree with what your telling him to do at all. If it works for you fine.

I presented an OPINION of what I think he needs to do since the OP posted looking for advice. Show me where I said that I do what I suggested.

But, I don’t think it’s best natural or not, beginner or not. I’m not gonna argue with you or debate it so I’ll leave it at this and I won’t mention it again. My point has been made, yours has been made, up to the OP at this point.

As for listening to his coach my exact words were if you can’t trust him fully then hire some one else. Telling him to just cokmpletelu ignore what his coach has set up and go completely against him is definetly not helping him either.

Where did I say to “ignore his coach”? Again the OP asked for opinions and I offered one.

With that being said whether he trusts him or has his doubts now he might as well finish with him and see what happens. Randomly listening to 2 or 3 random dudes on the internet a week out of his meet is a sure fire way to help screw up.

Finally, its cool that you disagree, but at least read a post before commenting.

And I simply read your opinion and then stated my opinion on your opinion :-). Glad this is concluded. Have a good day.

Stay loose and rest. Most of what we do is a top set squat on Monday of maybe 25% of max for a set of 5 for blood flow and same for bench on Tuesday and then we don’t go into the gym at all for the rest of the week. Blood flow, rest and stretching are good things to do during the week. Lots of rest.

2 Likes

Agreed. Since I struggle with getting good sleep (severe sleep apnea) and hydration, I make sure I get plenty of good quality sleep and water.