T Nation

1 Scoop Metabolic Drive + 16oz Liquid?

Has anyone tried this/how does it taste/is it a good idea?

Also, whats better with Milk Chocolate… water or milk?

[quote]HangerBaby wrote:

Also, whats better with Milk Chocolate… water or milk?[/quote]

I’m pretty sure they recommend 1 scoop per 8 ounces of water, so I imagine that twice as much fluid it make it pretty dilute.

Metabolic Drive tastes good in water, but milk makes everything taste better.

[quote]HK24719 wrote:
HangerBaby wrote:

I’m pretty sure they recommend 1 scoop per 8 ounces of water, so I imagine that twice as much fluid it make it pretty dilute.

Metabolic Drive tastes good in water, but milk makes everything taste better.[/quote]

True that. I use water with the Low-Carb Metabolic Drive, but find that 2 scoops of the Metabolic Drive Complete with 2 cups (half liter) of whole milk is absolutely wicked if I am looking for a higher calorie shake.

A friend of a friend was trying to make smoothies with the Low-Carb Metabolic Drive and complaining about the taste, then I instructed him to mix a cup of water per scoop and he couldn’t believe how good it tasted.

1 scoop per 8oz is best (especially if using water).

[quote]Peter Orban wrote:
HK24719 wrote:
HangerBaby wrote:

True that. I use water with the Low-Carb Metabolic Drive, but find that 2 scoops of the Metabolic Drive Complete with 2 cups (half liter) of whole milk is absolutely wicked if I am looking for a higher calorie shake.

A friend of a friend was trying to make smoothies with the Low-Carb Metabolic Drive and complaining about the taste, then I instructed him to mix a cup of water per scoop and he couldn’t believe how good it tasted.[/quote]

2 scoops? isn’t that kind of redundant? I mean, the body can only consume like 20-30g of protein hourly…

[quote]HangerBaby wrote:
Peter Orban wrote:
HK24719 wrote:
HangerBaby wrote:

A friend of a friend was trying to make smoothies with the Low-Carb Metabolic Drive and complaining about the taste, then I instructed him to mix a cup of water per scoop and he couldn’t believe how good it tasted.
2 scoops? isn’t that kind of redundant? I mean, the body can only consume like 20-30g of protein hourly…
[/quote]
Hmmm… may want to re-think that one… I’m a small female under 110 pounds right now and somehow my body “consumes” 30-45 grams protein in each of my meals every 2-3 hours… I don’t think a double scoop of protein, a whopping 40 grams, is going to go “un-used”. Drink up!

[quote]k8thegr8 wrote:
HangerBaby wrote:
Peter Orban wrote:
HK24719 wrote:
HangerBaby wrote:

Hmmm… may want to re-think that one… I’m a small female under 110 pounds right now and somehow my body “consumes” 30-45 grams protein in each of my meals every 2-3 hours… I don’t think a double scoop of protein, a whopping 40 grams, is going to go “un-used”. Drink up!
[/quote]

http://www.ultracycling.com/nutrition/fueling_for_endurance.html

" The human body, while able to handle 20-30 grams of protein in one intake, cannot tolerate that on an hourly basis. Too much protein fills the blood with too many amino acids. These excess amino acids are converted into carbon dioxide, water, and ammonia. This ammonia is toxic to the body and is a primary cause of premature fatigue. "

Just because you can drink it all doesn’t mean your body is absorbing and using it…

[quote]HangerBaby wrote:
k8thegr8 wrote:
HangerBaby wrote:
Peter Orban wrote:
HK24719 wrote:
HangerBaby wrote:

" The human body, while able to handle 20-30 grams of protein in one intake, cannot tolerate that on an hourly basis. Too much protein fills the blood with too many amino acids. These excess amino acids are converted into carbon dioxide, water, and ammonia. This ammonia is toxic to the body and is a primary cause of premature fatigue. "

Just because you can drink it all doesn’t mean your body is absorbing and using it…
[/quote]

Your source is wrong. Nice Try. Use a study next time

[quote]shookers wrote:
HangerBaby wrote:
k8thegr8 wrote:
HangerBaby wrote:
Peter Orban wrote:
HK24719 wrote:
HangerBaby wrote:

Your source is wrong. Nice Try. Use a study next time[/quote]

It wasn’t a “nice try”, you’re a tightass

I can’t exactly photocopy the college textbook I originally got that information from now can I… I’ll make do with what I can.

I can’t find anything on it, for either side of that argument – other than health professional blogs

Edit: please back up what you are saying as I’m 100% open to understanding the science behind it… I’m not close minded about this at all

Anyone who strength trains is more than capable of utilizing 30g/hour of protein. Good luck finding a study to support your notion.

The college textbooks you’re quoting also say that we need 30-50g of protein per day - we know how true that is. This myth has been around a long time, I’m not sure why it doesn’t just die.

[quote]shookers wrote:
Anyone who strength trains is more than capable of utilizing 30g/hour of protein. Good luck finding a study to support your notion.

The college textbooks you’re quoting also say that we need 30-50g of protein per day - we know how true that is. This myth has been around a long time, I’m not sure why it doesn’t just die.[/quote]

This college textbook is fairly recent… says that you need 1.2g per lb of bodyweight in most cases… and even more if you are lifting weights heavily.

I’ve yet to see a study that supports yours also?? I don’t get this double standard

Here is what I do for a shake if I am in a hurry:

1/2 package frozen organic spinach
1/8 cup frozen organic blueberries
1 Whole Omega 3 egg
1 T cinnamon
1/4 Cup greek yogurt
2 Scoops Metabolic Drive

Perfect meal right there and I promise you don’t taste the spinach.

[quote]HangerBaby wrote:
shookers wrote:

The college textbooks you’re quoting also say that we need 30-50g of protein per day - we know how true that is. This myth has been around a long time, I’m not sure why it doesn’t just die.

This college textbook is fairly recent… says that you need 1.2g per lb of bodyweight in most cases… and even more if you are lifting weights heavily.

I’ve yet to see a study that supports yours also?? I don’t get this double standard[/quote]

Common sense and experience is all the proof I need - pretty much every bodybuilder/athlete/strongman/powerlifter/whatever ingests more than 30g/meal. I’ve heard your theory touted many times - but never have I seen a study to back it up. I’ve also never seen a well-known strength coach support the idea.

If the body was only able to absorb 30g/hour then what would be the point of taking both bromelain and betaine HCL?

According to CT the betaine HCL will boost protein synthesis by up to 25%. Sorta shoots holes in the 30g/hour max theory doesn’t it?

[quote]laroyal wrote:
Here is what I do for a shake if I am in a hurry:

1/2 package frozen organic spinach
1/8 cup frozen organic blueberries
1 Whole Omega 3 egg
1 T cinnamon
1/4 Cup greek yogurt
2 Scoops Metabolic Drive

Perfect meal right there and I promise you don’t taste the spinach. [/quote]

heyyyy you stole my recipe!!!

cottage cheese in for the yogurt mmmmmm even better
\

Isn’t the casein a slow-digesting protein anyway? So you’re not really getting that protein all in one hourly hit anyway, right?

[quote]shookers wrote:
HangerBaby wrote:
shookers wrote:

I’ve yet to see a study that supports yours also?? I don’t get this double standard

Common sense and experience is all the proof I need - pretty much every bodybuilder/athlete/strongman/powerlifter/whatever ingests more than 30g/meal. I’ve heard your theory touted many times - but never have I seen a study to back it up. I’ve also never seen a well-known strength coach support the idea.

[/quote]
So I should just drop what a renown textbook has told me based on what you have “experienced”. Hmm… I don’t know dude, I don’t think I’m ready to ditch logical thoughts. I’m not a scientist though, you may be right, you may be wrong…

I think it depends on the person, but for a smaller person I still think 40g in one consumption isn’t working out right

[quote]HangerBaby wrote:
shookers wrote:
HangerBaby wrote:
shookers wrote:

So I should just drop what a renown textbook has told me based on what you have “experienced”. Hmm… I don’t know dude, I don’t think I’m ready to ditch logical thoughts. I’m not a scientist though, you may be right, you may be wrong…

I think it depends on the person, but for a smaller person I still think 40g in one consumption isn’t working out right
[/quote]

You could also try out the theories listed here and see what comes from it. Eh?

[quote]HangerBaby wrote:
[/quote]

True enough, I usually shoot for 50g, but my activity levels are down to about 10 Km (6 miles) of walking a day on average with only rehab type workouts, so you know, aiming low…

So if you sit on your ass, you can only use the same amount as if you are doing heavy physical labor all day? Give me a break, you sit here and troll spew about logic, yet you cannot seem to grasp that there may be a difference in how the textbook writer defined protein utilization and the fact that taking in more may not be a waste.

In clinical nutrition research, protein needs and requirements are determined by nitrogen balance, a simple in equals out formula where there is no account taken for increased whole body protein turnover (not just muscle, but neurotransmitters, hormones, transport proteins, enzymes among other protein requiring structures that up-regulate metabolism in the face of intake greater than nitrogen balance).

The average protein intake by a male my size in a hunter-gatherer society is around 250g per day. And this is in modern times where the last of these groups have been pushed to the least utilizable land. Protein intake as a function of total caloric intake is 25-40% of total energy in such groups. Oddly enough this the same ratios that most people find to be the optimal range today, with people who tolerate carbs better near 25%, those who do better on high fat at 40%, and of course some people in the middle.

Nature has already run this experiment in numbers far larger than a ‘scientist’ who has to appease funding, usually from a corporation that makes a tidy profit off carbohydrate or grain based products.

Another interesting sidenote is that my own Nutritional Biochemistry prof is no other than Dr. Stephanie Atkinson, PhD, RD whom TC skewered with good reason in a column. I had the pleasure of debating the protein issue with her in person during class, and while I differed in opinion (as did her own physique), she was extremely polite and patient and willing to listen. Something you should learn.

[quote]Peter Orban wrote:
HangerBaby wrote:

True enough, I usually shoot for 50g, but my activity levels are down to about 10 Km (6 miles) of walking a day on average with only rehab type workouts, so you know, aiming low…

So if you sit on your ass, you can only use the same amount as if you are doing heavy physical labor all day? Give me a break, you sit here and troll spew about logic, yet you cannot seem to grasp that there may be a difference in how the textbook writer defined protein utilization and the fact that taking in more may not be a waste.

In clinical nutrition research, protein needs and requirements are determined by nitrogen balance, a simple in equals out formula where there is no account taken for increased whole body protein turnover (not just muscle, but neurotransmitters, hormones, transport proteins, enzymes among other protein requiring structures that up-regulate metabolism in the face of intake greater than nitrogen balance).

The average protein intake by a male my size in a hunter-gatherer society is around 250g per day. And this is in modern times where the last of these groups have been pushed to the least utilizable land. Protein intake as a function of total caloric intake is 25-40% of total energy in such groups. Oddly enough this the same ratios that most people find to be the optimal range today, with people who tolerate carbs better near 25%, those who do better on high fat at 40%, and of course some people in the middle.

Nature has already run this experiment in numbers far larger than a ‘scientist’ who has to appease funding, usually from a corporation that makes a tidy profit off carbohydrate or grain based products.

Another interesting sidenote is that my own Nutritional Biochemistry prof is no other than Dr. Stephanie Atkinson, PhD, RD whom TC skewered with good reason in a column. I had the pleasure of debating the protein issue with her in person during class, and while I differed in opinion (as did her own physique), she was extremely polite and patient and willing to listen. Something you should learn.

[/quote]
I skimmed it and read something about patience

TL;DR

My fault for hijacking my own thread, I still haven’t seen concrete evidence to support your guys’ side so both arguments are so far invalid and pointless.