#1 Priority for a Coach

[quote]Eric Cressey wrote:
Great stuff so far, guys. I’m thinking a little more specific, though. What’s a prerequisite to optimal performance?[/quote]

Teaching the athlete how to move efficiently and understand how their body works. The athlete doesn’t exactly need to have a Ph.D. in biomechanics, but if they understand “I should land this way off of a jump” or “I should shoot a basketball this way for more accuracy,” they’ll be a better player for it AND stay injury free.

-Dan

Ensure players understand the importance of taking care of themselves is not just limited to the training session.

ie. eating, resting properly, breathing, stretching in other day to day activity.

Cressey thats very impressive. I play football a lot (sorry we have to say soccer round here don’t we :P)and basically most players suffer from a minor injury every few weeks. Whether its a slight muscle strain or ankle injury etc.

They are hard to avoid but I have noticed I have not had a single injury, since I started weight training. This isn’t counting dead legs and bruises which are obviously unavoidable, I’m talking about muscle strains etc. I have never had this long a run of matches and my performance has really improved. Injury sets you back more than just the time you miss, you lose the benefit of consistency which adds so much to performance.

People here generally believe weight training is only necessary if you are skinny for some reason otherwise it hinders performance. Yet they always praise the big strong guys for being so effective in certain situations. Quite ironic huh?

The number one priority has to be injury prevention. Strength coaches have to remember that what they do is not the focus. The sport is the focus. The strength and conditioning is just an adjunct to the sport. That is very tough for me to remember at times.

To teach the trainee that the key to progress is not only the weights, food, supps…it’s a lifestyle.

Great question!

I don’t know if it is the MOST important, but for me it is very high on the list.

To take responsibility.

An athlete is responsible for his/her performance, health, and life in the long run. I am not into developing dependency in my athletes. In team sports, the coach has more influence, but in individual sports the athlete has to know that he/she is the MAN/WOMAN before the contest and during.

I have had the good fortune to have worked with some very very successful athletes in different sports, and the common denominator was the intelligence to see that they have to run their show. Sure they trusted and respected coaches and other support people, but they knew who it came down to in terms of making the training and performing happen.

Many people bitch about coaches, teachers, profs, wives, husbands…

But if I am unhappy with my life, it is up to me to do something about it, not my mama, or my coach.