1-Pack's Log - Back to Square One

Made it. Yey!

10 times up and jog down with 1min rest between. It’s funny though, after third one, heart rate and lack of breath is just as bad at the end of the rest period as the second you get down the hill. Didn’t have my monitor on but I reckon my heart rate must have easily gone over 180 for a lengthy extended period.

But I am master of the hill today. Grrrr!
Next week, I shorten the rest periods by ten secs.

For anyone in the UK - Holland and Barrett chocolate whey protein is disgusting. Banana not too bad. Vanilla very artificial tasting but bearable.

But they are having a half price sale on protein powder so I had to stock up.

EZ Bar question.

When doing bicep curls with an EZ bar, what are the pros and cons of using the wide grip with palms angled inwards, or the close grip where they are almost going the other way?

Thanks in advance.

[quote]1-packlondoner wrote:
EZ Bar question.

When doing bicep curls with an EZ bar, what are the pros and cons of using the wide grip with palms angled inwards, or the close grip where they are almost going the other way?

Thanks in advance.

[/quote]

It would probably be based on comfort, and hitting the muscle in different ways; I use both and they work fine for me.

Cheers mate,

Think I’ll just use alternate grip for each set then.

Nice one.

1-pack,

If your struggling with H&B, have you gave all-in1 a try? It’s reflex protein in a different tub and 2/3 of the price! website is www.sports-nutrition.net

Ooh good thinking.

I love the Reflex stuff. Thanks for the heads up. Have a great weekend.

[quote]Magarhe wrote:
I think diet coke is OK, there is just as much shit in most protein powders. you can mix vanilla protein with diet coke you know to make a protein spider.
[/quote]

So only had Chocolate protein left but had vanilla diet coke. Oh My god! Even made my shitty protein drinkable. Well done that man. Who’d have thought they’d go together?

In other news, all going well. Changed a couple of exercises around to make it a little more efficient. Will post new details on Monday. Have a great one all.

Relaxing run today but quite pleased that last time I did it I lasted 10mins befpre having to walk a bit - today it was 25mins before a walk and the run in total (including a few rest periods after the 25mins) was 47mins.

Those sprint things seem to really work!

Weight Today

232lbs
105.1Kg
16st 8lbs

32lbs to go…

[quote]Magarhe wrote:

I think diet coke is OK, there is just as much shit in most protein powders. you can mix vanilla protein with diet coke you know to make a protein spider.

[/quote]

dont mix diet coke and protein powder in shaker cup.

[quote]rander wrote:
Magarhe wrote:

dont mix diet coke and protein powder in shaker cup.[/quote]

Haha… I learned THAT one the hard way.

OK so deadlift question.

I’m doing this stuff in my 1st floor flat and so not only do I not have a limitless weights stack, but I’m also using a standard, non-olympic bar and weights and more importantly, I can’t let the weight go after every lift, for fear of getting complaining neighbours from the sound, and eventually either taking lumps out of the floor or getting evicted.

I realise this is limiting the amount of weight I can put on the bar but my questions are:

1. Is it technically still a ‘deadlift’ if I am maintaining a constant tension by not releasing the bar on the floor after every rep?

2)I’m not bouncing the weight back up - rather letting it come to a stop, JUST shy of the floor, quick pause to halt momentum and then back up. To my crazy mind this seems like a good thing to do as I’m surely getting more out of the concentric and eccentric parts of the lift. Is there something really obvious I have missed here that is a good enough reason to stop doing it this way, given the training constraints I have? Is it dangerous? Is it not working me like it should?

Thanks in advance guys and girls.

PS - My new low-fat, low-carb Chinese-style burgers are a healthy work of genius though I say so myself. Will share recipe when I have a sec.

Oriental Chicken/Turkey Burgers - my totally non-scientific guide.

2 ways to do it. By far the best and nicest way is to use 250g (for a couple of burgers) Chicken Breast and to chop it very finely with a knife (but don’t blend it to a much cos the texture will be ruined) before marinating it for at least an hour, (but the longer the better) in…

1 heaped teaspoon of Chinese 5 Spice
1 heaped teaspoon of Thai 7 Spice
Some lemongrass, bruised
Teaspoon of soy sauce
Few drop of Thai fish sauce (to taste)
Finely chopped spring onions (again, amount to taste)
Splash (tablespoon?) of sesame oil.

After marinating make patties, using a couple of egg yolks to bind it together. You shouldn’t need to use breadcrumbs but if you want to add something to keep it together a little better (depending on the water content of the meat), if I have some to hand I like to sometimes put 25g of seed mix in the food processor until it is the consistency of breadcrumbs and serves the same purpose. But this DOES change the taste somewhat so try without first.

Cook under a grill instead of frying and serve in a toasted wholemeal bun, with Heinz Chilli Ketchup (Catsup to you crazy non-spelling yanks) and a little lettuce. And there you have it. A healthy taste sensation low in carbs and high in both goodness and taste.

Now, the superfast way is to use turkey mince, a level teaspoon of both 5 Spice and 7 Spice, spring onions and soy sauce, salt and pepper (pinch of cayenne too if you’re feeling naughty), sesame oil and a couple of egg yolks. mix up, get stuck in and make the patties - serve in the same way. Still lovely, just nowhere near as nice as the posh ones.

Good bike session yesterday - doing intervals of 30secs hardest setting then 1min of midway setting x 10 - 7.5km in total incluiding 5min warmup.

Then had to working until 7am so don’t feel so great today. I can see it’s gonna be one of those late night ‘have tov force yourself’ kinda workout evenings.

Must do it though cos it’s chest day and I am super weak there as it is. Laters :slight_smile:

Did my session properly from start to finish last night. Started about 10.30pm and finish just before midnight :slight_smile:

OK so here’s the updated workout

Monday
Romanian deadlift 1 x 12, 1 x 10, 1 x 8, 5 x 5 (then 5x6, 5x7 each week until 5x8 before moving to next weight)
Bent over row 1 x 10, 1 x 8, 5x5 (then 5x6, 5x7 each week until 5x8 before moving to next weight)
Squat 1 x 20, 1 x 8, 5x5 (then 5x6, 5x7 each week until 5x8 before moving to next weight)
Leg extension 5x5
Ham extension 5x5
1 arm rows 5x5
Tri bar Side bend 25kg 6x6 30sec rest between sets
1 arm tri bar shrug 25kg+b 6x6

EXTRAS COS I’M WEEDY
Bicep Curls 3x10
Tricep Extensions 3x10

Wednesday
Bench Press 1 x 12, 1 x 10, 1 x 8, 5 x 5 (then 5x6, 5x7 each week until 5x8 before moving to next weight)

Incline Ben Press �?? 5x5 5x5
Close grip bench �?? 5x5
Shoulder press 5 x 5 (then 5x6, 5x7 each week until 5x8 before moving to next weight)
Front raise 5x5 30 secs rest between sets
Rear raise dumbbells �??Side lateral DB raise superset - 5x5
DB Arm curls - 1x10, 5x5
EZ Curl Bar Bicep curls 5x5
Tri Bar Tricep extension 1x10, 5x5

(Pull up - ?x10) not yet when i have strength

Friday
Romanian deadlift 1x12, 1 x 8, 5 x 5 (then 5x6, 5x7 each week until 5x8 before moving to next weight)
Bent over row 1 x 12, 1 x 8, 5 x 5 (then 5x6, 5x7 each week until 5x8 before moving to next weight)
1 arm DB rows 5x5
Squat 1 x 15, 1 x 8, 5 x 5 �?? (then 5x6, 5x7 each week until 5x8 before moving to next weight)
Tri bar Side bend - 6x6 30 secs rest
Forearm curls/reverse forearm curls superset 3x10(hold2secs)
Calf Raises 5x5 (bar at waist height) hold 3 secs
Ab Superset (a la CT)�?? Forward Ab-roll (tribar 20kg big plates) 5, Plank 30secs: x 3 week 1, x4 week2, x3 week3, x6 week 4

I’ve essentially removed direct ab work from the routine, aside from side bends, because:

a) I’m always too shattered to do it with perfect form towards the end of the session.
b) I feel I’m getting a fair bit of ab work from the compund lifts.
c) I have amassive layer of flab covering them and so I would be better off concentrating on losing that first.

Right, off to tackle the bastard hill again. Gonna knock the rest period down 5secs today so 10x up and down with 55sec rest between them. Eventually I’d like to be able to go up and down twice before resting. But that’s in the distant past. :slight_smile:

Laters…

Hey Pack just found your thread and got a huge chuckle out of this:

“saving dolphins (in a round about way)”

Sorry but I had to…

I’ll take a closer look at your training if you really want me to.

Your friend,

Zeb

Did the hill. 10 x with 55secs between. I guess next time it has to be 50secs. :frowning:

I hate that exercise so much…Grrr

[quote]ZEB wrote:

Sorry but I had to…

Your friend,

Zeb [/quote]#

Haha…

There is nothing better in the world than telling women you save sharks and dolphins. Which I did by working for charity and making documentaries to educate 400m Chinese kids as to why eating shark fin soup is terrible for them, for the environment, and for the survival of an entire species, doing undercover investigations in illegal Triad-run shark fin shops and so on…

I just didn’t do it with my bare hands… I like to think I saved them with the power of ‘love’… And yes, I use THAT line too :slight_smile:

Take care mate.

[quote]1-packlondoner wrote:
ZEB wrote:

Sorry but I had to…

Your friend,

Zeb #

Haha…

There is nothing better in the world than telling women you save sharks and dolphins.

[/quote]

Okay, now that makes sense. As long as you’re doing it for the right reasons.

:wink: