1 Lung. How to Increase Conditioning, Run 1 Mile?

had lung cancer only have 1 lung.how to increase cardio endurance.read that someone ran a marathon,would love to be abel to to run a mile would like some advice

How far have you come in the few months since your last thread about getting back into running and stuff?

If your goal is to run a mile, let’s take a second to assess first. Can you walk one mile non-stop?

If you don’t have specific restrictions (other than the whole “missing a key organ”-thing), I’d probably approach it just like anyone else. Set up your plan, attack it consistently, and build on it week to week.

posted this already.I jog 1 min then walk 1.5 min,I do this 8 times.would the min jog be like a sprint for me.like HIIT.the most i,ve jogged is 1 and half min.thought i would die.I need to get my cardio endurance up,for a private gym i’m joining.on a nother note I have a cancer check-up june 1 hoping all goes well. Thank you

1st of i have 1 lung because of cancer.? is could jogging for 1 min be consider my sprint portion of a workout for say HIIT workout.The min jog was like a sprint of the past.I have a bunch of questions about increasing my conditioning,It’s warmer in Boston now so i have more of a variety as to what i could try.this is it for now. Thank YOU

If I were you Joe I would take it in baby steps. That’s the way I train. It helps avoid injury and burn out. What I mean by baby steps is to simply ratchet it up in very small amounts on a weekly or monthly basis. For example, you are attempting to run 1 mile non-stop. So, first run 1/4 mile non-stop. It doesn’t matter how fast you go just keep going (if you are able) until you hit the 1/4 mile mark. You might even walk part of it so what? Then next time that you train simply increase that distance to 600 yards if possible. Don’t get discouraged if it is not happening as fast as you’d like. Keep your goal in mind and move forward in small increments.

Think about what can prevent you from achieving your goal and take those things out at the legs before they stop you! For example, sickness can stop you. If you go too hard, too fast and do too much you might end up with an illness. What else can prevent you from achieving your goal? Injury. You have not been running in a while your muscles, tendons and ligaments and not used to the stress. Mental burn out. If you are pushing too hard each day you will eventually burn out mentally you’ll get sick of the torrid pace and perhaps quit.

So, take it in small increments or baby steps as I like to call them for myself. Once you have run 1/4 mile focus on increasing only by 100 yards or so, or you can rest a bit and do another 1/4. How you do this is less important than doing it slowly (at first). And don’t try to beat your previous distance on days when you are not feeling up to it. Sometimes just showing up and getting through the workout is enough. No heroics on the days you are not “felling it”.

In short, take your time. It doesn’t matter how long it takes you to achieve your goal. Know that in time you WILL run that mile. And if you do it the right way you can avoid plenty of pain on the way to victory.

An old Pastor friend of mine used to say “Inch by inch anything’s a cinch” It might be a bit corny but I found it to be true. So go forward, take your time, train a bit harder when you feel good and a bit lighter when you are not in the groove.

You will run that mile Joe!

Good Luck My Friend,

ZEB

thanks for the ideas and encouragement,the encouragement is what i needed,i’ll do it just training alone can get boring and discouraging.
thanks again
little joe

having 1 lung makes it impossible to run 1 mile straight.I can sprint 30 sec and jog for 1 min then walk 1:30 min.what should I shot for. slowly I’m increasing my time etc…some ideas would be great.

Take the reverse approach. Instead of trying to run faster for longer time, just walk the one full mile. Doesn’t matter if it takes you 45 minutes with 10 stops along the way. Get the mile done.

Next time, push get it done in a few seconds faster than before. Not a solid 5 minutes faster, just shave a few seconds off your mile time. Next session, same approach. Push yourself to finish the mile just a bit faster. Repeat over the long-term, so you’re always going a mile but shaving off a few seconds each time.

You’ve got a serious medical issue, so there’s no reason you should be sprinting at all right now. Take a long-term approach to hitting your goal.

Start a training log.

2 Likes

I don’t know anything about your medical situation, but I know all about boring, discouraging training. Its difficult to improve every workout. Its frustrating to feel like you are going no-where.

To solve this problem, give yourself a variety of workouts. If you don’t do the same thing every time, its easy to break new records. Everything becomes fun.

These are just suggestions. Its important to do only what you can handle. Talk to your doctor!

Session 1 could be your Intervals. Jog 1 minute, then walk 1.5 minutes. Repeat this process 4 times. See how much total distance you can cover in that 9 minute time period. In the future, try to get just a little bit further in the same amount of time.

Session 2. Walk one mile. Keep track of your time. In the future, try to get a slightly better 1 mile time.

Session 3. Run 50 yards, rest 90 seconds. Repeat 4 times. In the future, cut rest times down to 85 seconds. Then 80 seconds.

Session 4. Half mile. Fastest half mile in any combination of jogging/walking. Next session, get a better time.

Session 5. Walk some distance over a mile, untimed. Next session, push the distance a little further.

Rather than banging your head against the wall, trying to constantly get better at one challenge, give yourself more challenges. Instead of establishing a record in your first workout, then trying to beat that record the very next workout, give yourself more time to get better! Establish 4 or 5 “bench mark” workouts. That’s 4 or 5 productive sessions, THEN you start trying to improve. There is less pressure. Its easy to make progress and feel fresh.

Like Chris and ZEB said, you have to start easy and progress slowly, just a little bit at a time. But if you progress slowly at multiple tasks, you get better fast.