1 Hour Weight Lifting Workout Necessary?

I think you are too invested in our dialogue.

Statements like this only serve to prove my point.

Yes; I am trying to keep this civil.

Did you see my reply where I posted videos of my training? I was curious about your thoughts and hoping to further the dialogue, but it seems you have ignored me.

I gave you a like :heart:. What more do you want from me?

Discussion. Isn’t that the point of the topic?

1 Like

I never said lifting sessions over an hour is bad. If it works for you, great. Keep doing it. My point is, is it NECESSARY?

I have nothing negative to say about your videos. I like them, end of discussion.

And my answer is yes.

What could I have done in those sessions to make them even more efficient? I felt that those were as efficient as possible.

If you think it is necessary, great.

More efficient? How about:

Pick 1: Power cleans, deadlifts, or squats
5min warm up
8x5 at 75% 1 RM with about 1 1/2 rest between sets

Think this can be banged out within 20-25 mins?

It absolutely can, but that doesn’t make it more efficient; it’s simply less work. I can also do Grace with an axle in under 3 minutes, and yeah, it kills me, but it’s not getting as much done as the workout I posted.

1 Like

Again if it works for you great. I’m speaking from the point of view of a dude that works 8-12 hours a day 5 times a week, with a wife and kids at home.

Magic question is
WHAT IF you get the same results you’ve been getting doing your 1hour+ lifting sessions by reducing it down to 20-30mins? I would do the 20-30min workout cuz I get to spend more time with the fam.

I am literally this person. I came back from working overnight on Friday and getting 2.5 hours of sleep to just go hit a bench PR a few minutes ago.

It’s because I work as much as I do and have the family obligations that I have that I’ve learned how to condense a lot of work into a short timeframe. It’s also why I train at 0500 before my kid gets up.

1 Like

That would be great, but also not how things work.

In your proposed plan, I am only squatting, deadlifting or powercleaning. In my workout, I am squatting or deadlifitng, benching or pressing, rowing or chinning, and getting in other assistance work. It simply doesn’t compare.

This is why people train longer than 20 minutes; because you get more done when you do that.

My personal choice is to get more sleep and workout more efficiently. I was reluctant to workout because I didn’t want to spend an hour+ in the gym 3 times a week. Knowing I could get in a 20-30min lifting session and still feel pumped got me motivated.

So hence my post asking if 1 hour is really necessary.

I wish I had that choice.

Again, you keep saying “more efficiently”. Your implication in that statement is that I am training less efficiently than you. I disagree. I am simply doing MORE training.

I think the new debate is now, can you get the same results with a 20-30min workout vs. a 1hour+ workout? Is doing less more?

And the answer is no. We’ve already discussed this.

You will not get more results doing just squats compared to the results you would get from doing squats, press and pulls.

I think the REAL question you are wanting to ask is “can you get an adequate workout in 20-30 mins”, and the answer to THAT is yes.

6 Likes

Possibly People look at the individuals in the gym who are visually “successful” and realize that the management of:

-Intelligent programming split
-Proper selection of exercises for that day
-Sufficient volume
-Rest periods enough to accommodate successive loads
-maybe even warming up, self myofascial work, post exercise stretchIng

Cannot be done in an abbreviated time period, regardless of the facility’s personal trainers trying to neatly fit everyone into a time frame (like any other professional or business would simply for plannings sake)

S

3 Likes

This seems pretty clear to me, man. If you only count the time I’m in the middle of a set, then I lift for 10-20 minutes a session. I then say “if that is what you are getting at
 then I’d say
”

If that wasn’t what you were getting at then, correct me. You had made several statements that indicated you were a proponent of training without rest.

I reiterated this point, to clarify, here. Are you suggesting that individuals should go from set to set to set without rest?

Yes, I did. In quotes, because I was making a jest about the time I am actually lifting, not counting rests.

I asked this because this forum attracts a lot of non-english native speakers. Sometimes we find ourselves miscommunicated due to nuances, I wanted to clarify.

Again, this wasn’t a point. It was an example to help clarify what you were getting at.

I disagree. ‘Should’ doesn’t leave much for interpretation.

“It kind of feels like OP is making a wild statement, without qualifying it, to get a rouse.”

Regarding the time, like I already pointed out, our culture values schedule. We schedule based on 1/4, 1/2 and hour increments. It’s just how we work. Trainers did not create this, they adapted to the norm.

Aside from the kids and working 5 days a week (I work 6-7), I am in the same boat. That is why I built a home gym to be more efficient.

Why do you believe you have found the secret to training that no one else has found? You are claiming that nearly everyone is lifting in an inefficient way, ie spending more time than they should to achieve less than they could.

That’s not what you originally asked. If that is your actual question
 the answer is no. You can work out for less time. @ActivitiesGuy is a minimalist but is quite strong. You should check out his log, there is absolutely no fluff.

If this is true then everyone would do it, but I don’t see Phil Heath or Brian Shaw lifting for 20-30 minutes. That’s actually laughable.

I’ll retract my troll statement. You seem like a normal guy, albeit, not very good at communicating iin this medium.

EDIT: What has your training philosophy helped you achieve? How long have you been lifting? How long this way? Lifts?

1 Like

I would assume OP is 12-14 years old until proven otherwise.

1 Like