1 Hour Weight Lifting Workout Necessary?

Nah, stop trying to over complicate shit. People like round numbers. You ever ask someone to meet you somewhere at 6:27pm? If someone asks you how far away something is: ‘it’s about 10-15 minutes‘, ‘it’s about 100 feet wide’, or ‘about 250 miles round trip’.

1 Like

My main point is what is really happening minute by minute when someone says they lift for over an hour. How much time is really spent lifting and resting? How much warm up is really necessary? Again this is about lifting only, not counting cardio work.

Christian Thibaudeau discussed this in '14

That looks like a great program, want to do it with me and REALLY prove your point?
@cakez

1 Like

Depends on their goal, total volume, intensity, and a few other factors. Someone working to bring their deadlift from 545 to 600+ will rest longer between sets than someone who hasn’t pulled 275.

Depends on joint issues they’re dealing with, the day’s training intensity, and a few other factors. (Are you seeing a pattern here?) A lifter with a reconstructed shoulder will need a more thorough warm-up on upper body days. A lifter looking to hit a big 2RM for the day will take more warm-up sets than someone training in the 10-12 rep range.

Again, I’m wondering how you’re comfortable stating, “If people just worked out efficiently, a lifting session should last about 20 mins.” And I’m wondering what you think an efficient 20-minute workout should be.

Thib’s program is one example, but it’s definitely not ideal to follow for the long-term and it’s not appropriate for all goals.

1 Like

Still waiting for your logical answer…

I’m still waiting for your answer…

1 Like

It kind of feels like OP is making a wild statement, without qualifying it, to get a rouse.

If you count the time I’m actually lifting weight, like with a stop watch when the first rep starts and last ends, I probably lift for 12-20 minutes. 20 sets at 30seconds a set is 10 minutes.\

If that is what you are getting at… then I’d say you are extremely misleading and making a distinction without a difference.

2 Likes

Keep waiting.

1 Like

It does make a difference in a crowded gym. Imagine if more lifters get their sets/reps in within 20mins and leave the gym. What exactly is misleading?

1. Answered my question with a question.
  2. Stated everyone gave a logical answer, yet he didn’t.
  3. Butthurt he is being ignored.
  4. Dramatically announce “I’m outta here” and virtually ejects himself
  5. Couldn’t resist so he crawls back in the thread to say “Keep waiting.”

Um, I use a 5-8 minute rest period in between each set. I must just be inefficient. Stupid ATP systems slaps thighs after hitting 350lbs for 5 reps.

In all seriousness, your blanket statement is patently false. I train for absolute strength at the moment. If I don’t take a 5-8+ minute rest for my heavy sets, I’m not going to make my heavy lifts. And right now my heaviest lifts are pretty much a PR each week even if I am considered relatively weak to more advanced lifters. It’s just a physiological necessity for me to be “inefficient.”

Now if you say it’s in relation to a specific goal then the statement needs to be revised.

1 Like

I’m just going to say it… It’s my place and if I could take even longer, I would!

Very true man. I look forward to seeing where this crusade takes you. I for one am right on board. I’ll prove my stake in the game by offering a catchy label:

20 minute workouts.

The only issue is if some PoS comes along and asks just how much of our 20 minutes is productive? They may call their crusade 15 minute workouts and we’d be fucked.

Any ideas on how we could combat that?

1 Like

Best part about having a home gym. No bro’s asking when I’ll be finished with my heavy squats so they can get in for some curls :man_facepalming:

edit: holy smokes that facepalm dude is HYUGE

5 Likes

I work out at home also. It’s best for everyone involved. I just can"t play ALL day. I have to go adult, a little anyway :frowning:

It’s very weird that you are responding to half my post. The half that is contingent on the first half (see ‘if’ clause)

Are you suggesting that people should not take a break between sets? That they go from set>set>set and get out in 20 minutes?

If I didn’t have a home gym, I wouldn’t see my wife hardly. Leave for work at 7 and home by 630ish. I couldn’t imagine then heading to the gym.

I love walking out to the garage and lifting for ‘20 minutes’ lmao :joy:

1 Like

While running 5/3/1 Building the Monolith, my workouts took 50-60 minutes. I took video of the first 3.

Please note the absence of waiting on equipment, talking with people, socializing, texting on my phone, foam rolling, cardio, human sacrifice etc.

That isn’t to say that I ALSO haven’t had effective workouts that were short. Crossfit’s “Grace” or weighted carries with intervals are awesome. But you can certainly spend an hour actually training.

4 Likes

It takes me a half hour just to do dead lifts, because ever since I turned 40 I’ve needed five minutes of rest between heavy sets (same for loaded carries). It also takes me over a half hour just to do squats because after I turned 40 I needed more warm up sets. So my pure lifting sessions are between an hour and a half to two hours. One day a week I do have what I’ve started calling “energy systems days” which is about a half hour of weight lifting exercises and then going swimming, and those weight lifting exercises are super sets or going for reps with shorter rest periods and lighter weights.

1 Like

Maybe because I agree with you?