1 Arm Chin-Up - Negatives

Its almost time for an exercises you’ve never tried article from the editors. I just cranked out some negative 1 arm chin-ups. They were pretty tough, seems like it gives a good pump to the biceps.

Would this over time make 1 arm chin-ups easier? Or is this one of those exercises most people will never be able to do.

I think you could get some arm growth if you focused on these periodically. Seems like it would be good for climbers.

Anyone else tried these or have any other recent movements you’d like to share. I want to put together a few weeks of exercises I usually don’t do to change things up.

I can cock lift a 50kg kettlebell

You must be a “spartan”

Thought this would be a dead thread.
But seriously, I’m not asking about party tricks.

I’m asking about secret workouts, a hidden society, an unspoken code. The fountain of youth.

Does it exist? And what about my negative 1 arm chinups?

almost seems like there should be another name for it when you only do the negative dontcha think? I mean, its no exactly a chin UP anymore is it?

good tip. I’ll try em tomorrow.

I see no reason why doing a 1 arm chinup isn’t theoretically possible. it just requires damn strong biceps

Why not just do weighted pullups?

Is a 1 arm chin-up a rare thing? I always had the impression that a 1 arm chin-up is rather common.

[quote]Ipsum wrote:
Is a 1 arm chin-up a rare thing? I always had the impression that a 1 arm chin-up is rather common.[/quote]

A lot of people seem confused by this.

Some people think of a one arm chin as one arm holds the bar, and the other holds the forearm of the arm holding the bar. That’s bullshit and easy.

A real one-arm chin would require you go from a dead hang, hanging by one hand, with the other arm not touching the bar or your other arm (at your side, behind your back, whatever), to the chin above the bar. It’s a doable feat, but it’s pretty god damn rare outside of, say, professional gymnasts.

[quote]shlevon wrote:
Ipsum wrote:
Is a 1 arm chin-up a rare thing? I always had the impression that a 1 arm chin-up is rather common.

Some people think of a one arm chin as one arm holds the bar, and the other holds the forearm of the arm holding the bar. That’s bullshit and easy.

A real one-arm chin would require you go from a dead hang, hanging by one hand, with the other arm not touching the bar or your other arm (at your side, behind your back, whatever), to the chin above the bar. It’s a doable feat, but it’s pretty god damn rare outside of, say, professional gymnasts.[/quote]

So is normal chinning with a lot of weight. There’s no reason why this is not possible for most people. It just requires strength and takes time. I can do a real one-arm chin-up. But I can’t do this for reps and sets that constitute a workout.

But this is a goal of mine. Not because I necessarily think it’s any better than heavy weighted chinups. It just seems hugely impressive and like it’d be a cool thing to do.

[quote]shlevon wrote:
Ipsum wrote:

A real one-arm chin would require you go from a dead hang, hanging by one hand, with the other arm not touching the bar or your other arm (at your side, behind your back, whatever), to the chin above the bar. It’s a doable feat, but it’s pretty god damn rare outside of, say, professional gymnasts.[/quote]

How many of the bullshit easy ones can you do? I can’t do any.