T Nation

1-6 With Another Program

I am starting wrestling in a few months. I am going to start doing holistic sets (ie: set of 5, set of 12-15, set of 40 and repeat with NO rest b/w) ala Hatfield. I was wondering if I could do this while doing the 1-6 program. I would do the holistic sets for two days (out of the four work days) and the 1-6 for two days. For example, if my split looked like this:
Day One-Hamstrings/Calves
Day Two-Chest/Arms
Day Three-OFf
Day Four-Quads/Calves
Day Five-Back/Shoulders
Days Six and Seven-Off
I would do holistic sets for Hamstrings and Back/Shoulders, while doing 1-6 for Chest/Arms and Quads and vice versa the next week?
This sounds like a good way not to overtrain doing the holistic sets while maintaining a good level of strenth at the same time. Could this work? Any comments or ideas are welcome.

Thanks a lot!
Paul

Hatfield’s 5/12/40 holistic set method was intended primarily for bodybuilders. Even if it was effective, you wouldn’t get the best results in relative strength (since you probably don’t want to jump weight classes). Hatfield made his name in powerlifting and training athletes. If you are going to follow his methods, use one of his strength/sport specific programs (his football program is pretty good). As for the high rep sets, there really are better ways for an athlete not interested in hypertrophy to train the anerobic threshold. When Hatfield trained Holyfield he had him do alot of plyo/sprint/agility circuits and lower and upper body speed ergometer sets. The whole Holyfield program is posted somewhere on the net.
Really though, all this stuff is too complicated. Alexander Karelin trains by running with huge logs through waist deep snow. Maybe just stick with that.

Thanks for the advice, Matt. I took the giant set idea from the wrestling program Fred Hatfield II wrote. He has the athletes doing giant sets in the third and fourth mesocycle. Anyway, I’m not too worried about muscle gains, But would I gain muscle without adequate diet (calories consumed equal or less than calories expended?) I’m going to start dieting soon very slowly (1/2 lb per week), so I’ll be cutting my calories a bit Thanks again. - Paul

Response to the high reps can really vary. When I was a sprinter I added some high rep lifting to improve my anaerobic threshold, and just gained way too much muscle mass (even though I was eating to stay light). Wasted alot of energy hauling that weight around the track. Plus, choosing your speed of movement is somewhat restricted. If the giant sets are in-season they will also leave you overly fatigued for practice. You could check out Complex training (Don Chu wrote a couple books on it). In complex training you pair lifting with plyos and sport specific drills.