1-6 Loading for Strength and Size vs Double Progression?

I read your new article on Thibarmy about 1/6 loading scheme for strength and size. Is this something that could be done on the 4 main lifts once a week? (Press, Squat, Bench, Deadlift)

How would you compare this to the double progression method using 3 to 5 rep range if power building is the goal?

Thanks

I was thinking the same 4 days main lifts and “best damn” assistance, 2 days of regular “BDW” low stress exercises. Hope CT will enlighten us.

I’m starting a new cycle coming off a deload and didn’t know whether to go back to double progression or try this 1 6 method

Yes, it is specifically designed for the big lifs

Honestly the results should be fairly similar if done at the same level. It’s more a matter of which one is more interesting to you. I personally am more motivated by the 1-6 method, thus I get better gains

Thank you

If you have time to answer one more question, how would you progress on this from week to week?

Well, it’s like wave loading.

Plan for the 2nd wave to be close to an all-out effort on the set of 6 (around 82% for most people).

Understand that each wave is heavier than the preceding one. When you complete a wave, you start the next one, even if you know you won’t likely hit all 6 reps.

When you can’t complete the 6 reps on a set, stop the exercise.

If you successfully complete 2 waves but fail to complete the 3rd one (you get 4 or 5 reps) you use the same weights for the next workout.

For example if you get:

1 x 1 @ 270 / 1 x 6 @ 235, 1 x 1 @ 270 / 1 x 6 @ 245, 1 x 1 @ 270 / 1 x 4 @ 255

You do the same thing the next week.

If you complete 3 waves, the next workout you start the 1st wave with the weight used in the 2nd wave the preceding week and add around 10lbs on the sets of 1. For example let’s say that you do…

1 x 1 @ 270 / 1 x 6 @ 235, 1 x 1 @ 270 / 1 x 6 @ 245, 1 x 1 @ 270 / 1 x 6 @ 255, 1 x 1 @ 270 / 1 x 4 @ 265

You would do…

1 x 1 @ 280 / 1 x 6 @ 245, 1 x 1 @ 280 / 1 x 6 @ 255, 1 x 1 @ 280 / 1 x 6 @ 265, 1 x 1 @ 280 / 1 x 4 (or 5, 6 depending on how much you get) x 275

If you complete 4 waves you likely picked a weight that was too light, but if that happens the next week you do your 1st set with the weight you use for your 3rd wave and add 20-30lbs to the sets of 1

1 Like

This is a big help! Can’t wait to try this! Thank you

BTW It’s actually possible to end up doing more on the sets of 6 than you potential set (since it stays at around 90%). But that would be one helluva day where your CNS is mega responsive.

I once had a female olympic lifter ramp up to a 1RM on front squats, then do 3 clusters sets of 4-6 reps. The starting weight was 90% of her 1RM and if she reached 6 reps (15 sec between reps) we added weight. On her last set she ended up doing more weight for 4 cluster reps than her 1RM for the day!!!

That’s why I think I’m going to like this system a lot better than double progression on the main lift. I think it’ll ramp up my central nervous system and have a better overall strength effect on my top sets