1-6 Contrast Loading

CT,

I was thinking of giving your 1-6 contrast loading scheme a try for bench (http://www.T-Nation.com/strength-training-topics/2328). I was wondering how I should progress week to week. Should I just add five pounds every week that I get more than six reps on the last set with 85%, or is there a method that you prefer?

My max bench is 245, and has been stuck there for about a month. Currently I bench twice a week, alternating between 3x3 and 5x5 for loading schemes.

[quote]NewYorkJets wrote:
CT,

I was thinking of giving your 1-6 contrast loading scheme a try for bench (http://www.T-Nation.com/strength-training-topics/2328). I was wondering how I should progress week to week. Should I just add five pounds every week that I get more than six reps on the last set with 85%, or is there a method that you prefer?

My max bench is 245, and has been stuck there for about a month. Currently I bench twice a week, alternating between 3x3 and 5x5 for loading schemes.[/quote]

WEEK 1: Warm up, 1 x 1 @ 220, 1 x 6 @ 195, 1 x 1 @ 220, 1 x 6 @ 200, 1 x 1 @ 220, 1 x 6 @ 205
WEEK 2: Warm up, 1 x 1 @ 225, 1 x 6 @ 200, 1 x 1 @ 225, 1 x 6 @ 205, 1 x 1 @ 225, 1 x 6 @ 210
WEEK 3: Warm up, 1 x 1 @ 230, 1 x 6 @ 205, 1 x 1 @ 230, 1 x 6 @ 210, 1 x 1 @ 230, 1 x 6 @ 215
WEEK 4: Warm-up, test max, 3 x 6 @ 85% of new max

Thanks for the help, can’t wait to run this.

@Christian_Thibaudeau
Hey CT,
I am a combat athlete - I train BJJ and Grappling, so my aims are Strength and Explosiveness in the gym. I have the possibility to do 2, max. 3 lifting sessions per week, but mostly 2, due to overtraining concerns ( i have 6 BJJ sessions per week). Is the 1/6 appropriate for my aims and what would it look like?
P.S. i am unable to squat due to inguinal hernia + adductor strains ( i guess from squats and loaded back lunges).
thanks in advance!

The 1/6 is a great method but if you are in a weight class and have a hard time making weight you might do 1/4 instead to avoid adding too much weight

1 Like

@Christian_Thibaudeau
right, great, right now i am just lifting without any weight concerns in mind.
so i have some more questions :

1. is it ok if i start with some power cleans from hang for explosiveness and the beginning.
  2. then do 1/6 but supersets - i.e. bench press+DL; overhead press + barbell rows, etc etc
    because as you know, my goal is to spend least time for weights with the biggest possible strength gains, as I dont have much time to train all day long, as I would like.
    Thanks for the fast answer, you are great! osss

Yes they will well to activate the nervous system before your heavy lifting. BUT make it about speed and crisp technique, not increasing weight and stop before you feel even the slightest amount of fatigue.

I don’t like that at all. The goal while in the gym FOR YOU is to increase your strength. Not your conditioning. You are doing BJJ 6 days a week you are getting more than enough conditioning work there. When in the gym TRAIN WHAT YOUR OTHER PRACTICES DO NOT TRAIN. In your case STRENGTH. So you need to avoid approaches that decrease how much force you can produce.

Alternating exercises (not supersets, alternating means going back and forth between 2 exercises BUT having some rest between both) is fine BUT not with exercises that hit similar muscle groups… overhead press + rowing would be OK, bench press + overhead press is not.