T Nation

1/4mg Anastrozole tabs

who's using 1/4mg Anastrozole tabs, where are you getting them, and how much are you paying? My insurance is happy to pay for the 1 mg tabs, but want's nothing to do with the 1/4s which I'm assuming must be compounded separately?

APS pharm in Florida is compounding/selling the 1/4mgs but they are so screwed up after 10 days I still can't get the prescript filled. My local compounding pharm will do it but it's really expensive at $140 for about 3 months worth / E3D.

Better options out there? I've been dissolving the 1mgs in vodka and it works ok but would prefer a better solution...

Jack

I’ve had no problems with a dedicated pill splitter I got from my pharmacy. They’re tiny, sure, but it’s no problem, for me, splitting those in to 1/4’s. Use a toothpick, pen, etc…, as my fingers are too big obviously but the pill splitter is where it’s at.

You could buy a pill splitter but they don’t work any better than a knife. You can cut pills in half and then quarters pretty easily with a sharp knife. If you put the tip of the blade on the cutting surface the pill halves won’t go flying. If you don’t and you try to chop them like an amateur you’ll be hunting under the cabinets for bits of pill.

Get it in liquid form from a research place. Much less expensive and easier to dose.

and abandon all hope of consistent dosing from one bottle to the next.

I found a pill cutter had trouble cutting the halves into quarters. I use mine to make halves, then stand them up on their flat sides and use a razor blade to make quarters. Works well enough. C27 is on the money about bracing the blade against the cutting surface.

What you need to do is buy vodka and dissolve the 1mg tab in the vodka. I bought little vials that I add about 1 mil of vodka to and add the 1mg tablet. You can get a free milliliter dropper from your local pharmacy. The one i use is 1 milliter so it has the entire millilter dropper marked every .25 mil. Then you can take .25 mil which would be equivlent to your 1/4mg tabs.

[quote]bloc wrote:
and abandon all hope of consistent dosing from one bottle to the next.

I found a pill cutter had trouble cutting the halves into quarters. I use mine to make halves, then stand them up on their flat sides and use a razor blade to make quarters. Works well enough. C27 is on the money about bracing the blade against the cutting surface. [/quote]

Agreed, it’s not a perfect answer, but there are really no perfect answers. If you’re paying out of pocket and looking for an answer that is the least expensive, this is it. I haven’t found dosing to be that big of a deal, but it’s certainly an issue.

[quote]bloc wrote:
and abandon all hope of consistent dosing from one bottle to the next. [/quote]

Are you saying that the research chemical formulations change each time you get a new vial? Personally I think using RC for human consumption is too risky. Definitely not for me. In canada they want like 10 times more for anastrozole than the pharmacy charges.

Thanks for the replies

It’s been suggested that the active ingredient within the 1 mg tabs might not necessarily be equally distributed around the tab, and could be concentrated on one side of the tab or another. Is there any truth to this or is this idea insignificant at best?

<<<<What you need to do is buy vodka and dissolve the 1mg tab in the vodka

Ya that’s what I’ve been doing. The problem I have is that when the vial rolls around in my toilet kit for a few days, I end up with undissolved solids all over the sides of the vial, which I’m assuming are at least partially the active ingredient, and they don’t easily mix back into the vodka… If the vial’s just sitting on the bathroom counter then it’s a good solution…

Unequal distribution is a factor in virtually all tablets. The importance with this drug is rather insignificant. Where it becomes critical is with drugs that have a narrow therapeutic margin. Getting 0.12mg one day and 0.33mg the next won’t cause adverse events or change the overall outcome measurably.

Just a follow up - ended up just using an inexpensive pill splitter from Walgreens and the 1/4 pieces aren’t perfect but works well enough with no probs over the past few years…