1/4 Billion Dolllar Man?

[quote]Chewie wrote:

I root for both teams to lose. When they play each other, that is easy. Whoever is highest in the rankings, you want to lose so they fall farther behind. You see, that team loses more and that is what you want to see, right?
[/quote]

When 2 teams I hate are playing I root for injuries.

[quote]rrjc5488 wrote:
TJN713 wrote:
muscleshark wrote:
I live in NY, but do not allign myself with the yankees. I like them and the red sox equally, and seeing as how the yanks are seemingly on the way down, I’d love for the Red Sox to keep Mike Lowell, scoop up A-Rod, and put him at shortstop until he’s too old to be a competent ss.
Switching Lugo for A-rod would make for an absurd lineup. The Sox would be able to whoop the national league allstar team with that lineup and beckett starting with Okajima and Papelbon relieving…
I mean come on, what do the Yanks really have on the Sox? Better looks?

Thanks for the insight, Freddy Frontrunner. I like the Yankees and Red Sox equally, too. Kind of how I like cancer and AIDS.

Seriously. How does this even happen? If you say you’re a fan for both of them, you’re really a fan of neither. No self respecting yankee fan would root for the sox and vice versa.

So, when they play each other, who do you root for? Or does that change as the score or city you’re in change?[/quote]

Oh boo hoo…
It’s just baseball after all. I don’t make my being a fan of a team the center of my life; therefore self respect has nothing to do with it.

When they play each other, I would say I tend to root for the away team to destroy the home team, because I like seeing that, and the misery from the fans.

Is it me, or do I miss the point of chanting “boston sucks” or “yankees suck?” It’s downright obnoxious. I went to a Yankee game for example, and they kept announcing the away scores, and boston losing caused 15 minute long “boston sucks” chants, even though Boston was still up by like 10 games. Are they mindless drones or what?

[quote]muscleshark wrote:
rrjc5488 wrote:
TJN713 wrote:
muscleshark wrote:
I live in NY, but do not allign myself with the yankees. I like them and the red sox equally, and seeing as how the yanks are seemingly on the way down, I’d love for the Red Sox to keep Mike Lowell, scoop up A-Rod, and put him at shortstop until he’s too old to be a competent ss.
Switching Lugo for A-rod would make for an absurd lineup. The Sox would be able to whoop the national league allstar team with that lineup and beckett starting with Okajima and Papelbon relieving…

Thanks for the insight, Freddy Frontrunner. I like the Yankees and Red Sox equally, too. Kind of how I like cancer and AIDS.

Seriously. How does this even happen? If you say you’re a fan for both of them, you’re really a fan of neither. No self respecting yankee fan would root for the sox and vice versa.

So, when they play each other, who do you root for? Or does that change as the score or city you’re in change?

Oh boo hoo…
It’s just baseball after all. I don’t make my being a fan of a team the center of my life; therefore self respect has nothing to do with it.

When they play each other, I would say I tend to root for the away team to destroy the home team, because I like seeing that, and the misery from the fans.

Is it me, or do I miss the point of chanting “boston sucks” or “yankees suck?” It’s downright obnoxious. I went to a Yankee game for example, and they kept announcing the away scores, and boston losing caused 15 minute long “boston sucks” chants, even though Boston was still up by like 10 games. Are they mindless drones or what? [/quote]

You are clearly not a fan, so you have no concept of how fans think and how fans feel. You are a frontrunner, who just “happens” to root for the teams with the two highest payrolls in baseball. Any real fan just HATES clowns like you.

Let me guess — you love the Patriots (and the Colts), are a huge Spurs fan (but cheer for the Cavs), and can’t get enough of Ohio State and Florida when it comes to college sports. People see thru your b.s. a mile away.

[quote]dollarbill44 wrote:
I just had sex with your avatar.

DB[/quote]

I never knew you were a fan of sloppy seconds. Learn something new everyday. Huh.

[quote]TJN713 wrote:
muscleshark wrote:
rrjc5488 wrote:
TJN713 wrote:
muscleshark wrote:

So, when they play each other, who do you root for? Or does that change as the score or city you’re in change?

Oh boo hoo…

Is it me, or do I miss the point of chanting “boston sucks” or “yankees suck?” It’s downright obnoxious. I went to a Yankee game for example, and they kept announcing the away scores, and boston losing caused 15 minute long “boston sucks” chants, even though Boston was still up by like 10 games. Are they mindless drones or what?

You are clearly not a fan, so you have no concept of how fans think and how fans feel. You are a frontrunner, who just “happens” to root for the teams with the two highest payrolls in baseball. Any real fan just HATES clowns like you.

Let me guess — you love the Patriots (and the Colts), are a huge Spurs fan (but cheer for the Cavs), and can’t get enough of Ohio State and Florida when it comes to college sports. People see thru your b.s. a mile away.[/quote]

Excuse me, but I wouldn’t call myself a frontrunner, because I root for the Tampa Bay Bucs, not the Patriots or Colts. Peyton Manning is a douche. Although I wish I were Tom Brady.

The reason I root for both the Yankees and red sox is becausethese big market teams drive the baseball economy. The rivalry and the vast amounts of money they spend brings more money into this sport than every other team combined. Without the Yankees and Sox, baseball would be like soccer in America, deader than Carrot Top’s career.

In the end, it’s a game and devoting one’s life and love to a company that is trying to sell you a product makes you a waste of oxygen. It’s like rooting for Burger King of Mcdonalds. Competition is good for the consumer because we get things like the dollar menu and cheap chinese labor, you clown.

If people pay to see him, he is worth as much as they are willing to pay.

That is really all there is too it.

TJN713 wrote:
muscleshark wrote:
rrjc5488 wrote:
TJN713 wrote:
muscleshark wrote:

Oh boo hoo…

Let me guess — you love the Patriots (and the Colts), are a huge Spurs fan (but cheer for the Cavs), and can’t get enough of Ohio State and Florida when it comes to college sports. People see thru your b.s. a mile away.

Excuse me, but I wouldn’t call myself a frontrunner, because I root for the Tampa Bay Bucs, not the Patriots or Colts. Peyton Manning is a douche. Although I wish I were Tom Brady.

The reason I root for both the Yankees and red sox is becausethese big market teams drive the baseball economy. The rivalry and the vast amounts of money they spend brings more money into this sport than every other team combined. Without the Yankees and Sox, baseball would be like soccer in America, deader than Carrot Top’s career.

In the end, it’s a game and devoting one’s life and love to a company that is trying to sell you a product makes you a waste of oxygen. It’s like rooting for Burger King of Mcdonalds. Competition is good for the consumer because we get things like the dollar menu and cheap chinese labor, you clown.[/quote]

Your profound inability to grasp the basic economics of baseball is staggering. And your justification for rooting for the two biggest abusers of the baseball free market economy doesn’t even make sense. They spend the most $$, therfore, I am a fan? Sure. They win the most games, therfore I am a “fan” is more like it.

Try being a fan of the Kansas City Royals or the Minnesota Twins or the Pittsburgh Pirates and explain to me how what the Yankees and Red Sox are doing is contributing to the overall health of baseball.

Oh. Carrot Top made way more $$$ last year than you ever will. Guaranteed.

Bottom line you are not a fan of baseball, know nothing about baseball, are not qualified to comment on a baseball related thread, and should really just stop making yourself look so foolish. And ignorant.

Listen, Mr. Schwab,
With the addition of revenue sharing to the sport of baseball, what the Yankees and Sox are doing is pumping money directly into the baseball economy by spending. The money these “lower class” teams recieve, they can be fielding their own superstar filled teams.

Instead, they’re owners pocket the money and their teams continue to suck horrendously. This is why I roo for the Yankees and Red Sox. Because the money they spend is helping the poor teams just lke Bill Gates or Donald Trump donate to charity.

So don’t you dare call me a front runner because in the end, I care way more about the well being of the sport than you do, you so called “fanboy.”

Listen, Mr. Schwab,
With the addition of revenue sharing to the sport of baseball, what the Yankees and Sox are doing is pumping money directly into the baseball economy by spending. The money these “lower class” teams recieve, they can be fielding their own superstar filled teams.

Instead, they’re owners pocket the money and their teams continue to suck horrendously. This is why I roo for the Yankees and Red Sox. Because the money they spend is helping the poor teams just lke Bill Gates or Donald Trump donate to charity.

So don’t you dare call me a front runner because in the end, I care way more about the well being of the sport than you do, you so called “fanboy.”[/quote]

When did the Major League owners agree to revenue sharing? That’s right, NEVER. The NFL has revenue sharing, and the big market franchises are finding ways around that through their stadium deals. MLB has never had anything approaching revenue sharing, besides an even split on national TV and radio contracts. Trust me, the Yankees and Red Sox are not sharing revenues generated by their in-house cable networks.

What you ignorantly call “revenue sharing” is the luxury tax imposed upon teams when their payrolls exceed a certain level. Yes, the Yankees and Red Sox have paid that penalty. No, it is not even remotely close to revenue sharing, and it certainly has not impacted any personnel decisions.

You know how I know I care more about the financial well- being of the sport than you do? I buy season tickets every year for the San Diego Padres, a medium to small market team with geographical challenges that prevent them from ever securing a big money local radio or TV deal. That, my friend, is what drives payroll in the MLB. I put my money where my mouth is, and I have forgotten more about baseball and the business of baseball than you will ever know.

Continue to wow us with your ignorance. Lord knows as a Tampa Bay Bucs fan you haven’t had a Super Bowl win in 4 years. You are indeed a frontrunner.

Listen, Mr. Schwab,

So don’t you dare call me a front runner because in the end, I care way more about the well being of the sport than you do, you so called “fanboy.”[/quote]

TJN nailed it. I want to add that you are also overestimating the impact of Boston-NY on the whole of baseball. This rivalry is big in those two cities and on ESPN. Outside of the fans of these two teams (which includes most of ESPN’s staff), not many people care about it. Rant time…

I’m sick and tired about how overhyped this series is. ESPN treats each of the 19 regular season games as if they are game 7 of the World Series to the point that BBTN shows live postgame press conferences for the first 15 minutes of its show. It makes me want to puke. A perfect example of the overhype was the running catch of a foul pop that Jeter made last year against Boston. He made the catch on the field of play and then leapt into the stands. ESPN called it one of the most amazing plays ever. Bullshit! If it happened during the Cubs-Cards (a better baseball rivalry) series, it wouldn’t have been more than a Web-gem nominee.

If anything, the Red Sox and Yankees are detrimental to baseball overall because of their spending habits. What you have are two teams that will probably make the playoffs every year, not necessarily win, but make the playoffs. The rest of the playoff teams will be a revolving door of middle market clubs and the second tier of large market clubs (Mets, Dodgers, White Sox, Cubs). As the successful middle market clubs’ talent matures into their prime, they are signed away by the large market clubs, thus necessitating the need for the smaller teams to start the rebuilding process over again which takes 4-5 years at least.

It is what it is and I deal with it, being a small market fan, but I don’t like it at all.

DB

muscleshark wrote:
Listen, Mr. Schwab,

So don’t you dare call me a front runner because in the end, I care way more about the well being of the sport than you do, you so called “fanboy.”

TJN nailed it. I want to add that you are also overestimating the impact of Boston-NY on the whole of baseball. This rivalry is big in those two cities and on ESPN. Outside of the fans of these two teams (which includes most of ESPN’s staff), not many people care about it. Rant time…

I’m sick and tired about how overhyped this series is. ESPN treats each of the 19 regular season games as if they are game 7 of the World Series to the point that BBTN shows live postgame press conferences for the first 15 minutes of its show. It makes me want to puke. A perfect example of the overhype was the running catch of a foul pop that Jeter made last year against Boston. He made the catch on the field of play and then leapt into the stands. ESPN called it one of the most amazing plays ever. Bullshit! If it happened during the Cubs-Cards (a better baseball rivalry) series, it wouldn’t have been more than a Web-gem nominee.

If anything, the Red Sox and Yankees are detrimental to baseball overall because of their spending habits. What you have are two teams that will probably make the playoffs every year, not necessarily win, but make the playoffs. The rest of the playoff teams will be a revolving door of middle market clubs and the second tier of large market clubs (Mets, Dodgers, White Sox, Cubs). As the successful middle market clubs’ talent matures into their prime, they are signed away by the large market clubs, thus necessitating the need for the smaller teams to start the rebuilding process over again which takes 4-5 years at least.

It is what it is and I deal with it, being a small market fan, but I don’t like it at all.

DB[/quote]

So true. If you live anyplace other than the I-95 corridor from NYC to Boston, a Red Sox/Yankees game in April (or May, June, July. . .) means nothing, and just makes me stay away from ESPN and their myopic, over-hyped coverage. Sure, let NY and Boston fans enjoy themselves, but the rest of us? We don’t give a crap.

I’m not sure if I meet all of the requirements of a baseball “fan” entitled to post on this thread. I must confess it is my 3rd favorite sport to watch on TV. I did grow up playing it a lot as a kid. I went to many Texas Rangers baseball games back at the old Arlington Stadium when their manager was Billy Martin and my favorite player was Mike Hargrove. I also like the Astros. I hate I mean really hate the Yankees. I hate the Red Sox and I hate the Dodgers.

Why? mainly because the national media loves those teams so much because they all live in New York and Los Angeles.
As far as A-Rod? All I know is he didn’t do a damn thing for the Texas Rangers. I think he is a massively overpaid bust but I was very happy when he went to New York. Let Steinbrenner over pay. Of course the Rangers still suck and now the Astros suck. But what do I know.

[quote]deputydawg wrote:
I think he is a massively overpaid bust but I was very happy when he went to New York. [/quote]

Yeah. Basically, he’s the Kanye West of baseball. He’s good at what he does, but he’s an arrogant prick who thinks he deserves way more than he actuall does.

[quote]rrjc5488 wrote:
deputydawg wrote:
I think he is a massively overpaid bust but I was very happy when he went to New York.

Yeah. Basically, he’s the Kanye West of baseball. He’s good at what he does, but he’s an arrogant prick who thinks he deserves way more than he actuall does.[/quote]

I think he also was quoted on air saying “George Bush hates black people.” I may have that wrong though.

DB

TJN, you overestimate your value to the well being of baseball. You think you drive the payroll? I doubt anyone is complaining about where the league minimum is.
The only time people care about your padres or whatever other team is when they play the yankees or sox. I might even go out on a limb and include most of the National League. Most of the national league cannot put asses in seats, and that is where A-Rod is mvp.
Anyway, if not for NY or Boston, what teams would drive the MLB machine? You sound as if you are against laissez faire business. They’re more successful financially than other teams. Too bad.

If a team is small market and has geographic disadvantages etc, they should do something about it.
You obviously take this more seriously than I do. What is your self-righteous reason for investing so much happiness in some crappy baseball team? Do you enjoy mediocrity in your life? You call me a frontrunner, I call you a loser.

btw, the Tampa Bay Bucs thing was a joke. Apparantly, they’re hated or something.

Does being a fan of Roger Federer, Michael Phelps, A-rod or Tiger Woods also make me a frontrunner? Too bad! I enjoy seeing the best, and am happy that they are top dog instead of finding reasons to dislike them. You have a mindset that tolerates failure and makes anti-capitalist excuses way too easily. My mindset gears me for success. Why waste my time with mediocrity?

TJN, you overestimate your value to the well being of baseball. You think you drive the payroll? I doubt anyone is complaining about where the league minimum is.
The only time people care about your padres or whatever other team is when they play the yankees or sox. I might even go out on a limb and include most of the National League. Most of the national league cannot put asses in seats, and that is where A-Rod is mvp.
Anyway, if not for NY or Boston, what teams would drive the MLB machine? You sound as if you are against laissez faire business. They’re more successful financially than other teams. Too bad.

If a team is small market and has geographic disadvantages etc, they should do something about it.
You obviously take this more seriously than I do. What is your self-righteous reason for investing so much happiness in some crappy baseball team? Do you enjoy mediocrity in your life? You call me a frontrunner, I call you a loser.

btw, the Tampa Bay Bucs thing was a joke. Apparantly, they’re hated or something.

Does being a fan of Roger Federer, Michael Phelps, A-rod or Tiger Woods also make me a frontrunner? Too bad! I enjoy seeing the best, and am happy that they are top dog instead of finding reasons to dislike them. You have a mindset that tolerates failure and makes anti-capitalist excuses way too easily. My mindset gears me for success. Why waste my time with mediocrity? [/quote]

Reading comprehension is your friend, kid. Perhaps you might want to look into it, unless, of course, you want to be a star at your local community college.

Real quick here: I said local radio and TV deals drive revenue, not my (or anyone else’s) season ticket purchase. Of course, if you could actually read, you’d have picked up on that.

As for the relative attendance strength of National League teams, why don’t you go look that up during study hall and give us a report. I know it’s easy to make facts up and all, but perhaps people wouldn’t see you as a little troll if you actually advanced arguments based upon facts and reason.

MLB is doing quite fine, thank you, in markets outside of NY and Boston, at least attendance wise. Last time I looked, the Yankees and Red Sox were at most playing two games a night. Pretty sure the rest of the league outdraws them every day. Competitive balance is a different story, but it is clearly a concept beyond your comprehension which has been explained in detail here.

Here’s a question. How does a team correct a geographical disadvantage? You come up with a solution to that problem, and someone might actually pay you a decent wage. Meanwhile, San Diego, which is bordered by the Pacific Ocean, lots of empty desert, Mexico and the LA megalopolis awaits your profound solution with bated breath.

I’ve asked you some decent questions here. Let’s see if you are able to answer them without calling me a mediocre loser. Highly doubtful, because you have not shown me an iota of intelligence yet. Meanwhile, if you think rooting for winners makes you a better person “geared for success,” life will be sure to reward you with lots of asskickings.

Much like the metaphorical one you’re getting here.

You win this one.
In all seriousness, I’ve only been a baseball fan for a season and a half, and I was just talking out of my ass with the intent of having a laugh.
It was impressive what you did, though! I saw what you were doing with the argument and the jabs, but couldn’t do anything about it. Was quite overmatched.

rrjc5488 wrote:
deputydawg wrote:
I think he is a massively overpaid bust but I was very happy when he went to New York.

Yeah. Basically, he’s the Kanye West of baseball. He’s good at what he does, but he’s an arrogant prick who thinks he deserves way more than he actuall does.

I think he also was quoted on air saying “George Bush hates black people.” I may have that wrong though.

DB[/quote]

No, no, no. That was 50 cent.

[quote]rrjc5488 wrote:
dollarbill44 wrote:
rrjc5488 wrote:
deputydawg wrote:

DB

No, no, no. That was 50 cent.[/quote]

No, I’m pretty sure it was ARod that said it.

DB