1.25 or 1.5g Protein Per Pound of Bodyweight?

So how much is that, exactly? As you probably understand by now, this is an individual thing. However, most natural (non-steroid using) trainees will benefit from a protein intake between 1.25 and 1.5 grams per pound of body weight. More than that will probably not lead to any additional gains.

i eat maybe 1,7/2 so how to know if is good for us and if we don’t add protein for nothing and lose the gain ? it is still relevant ?

for the moment i can’t get phone, just my diet is approximate

Thanks !

It depends. The 1.25-1.5g/lbs recommendation is usually recommended when you are in a diet phase. If you are in a mass-gaining phase, 0.8g/lbs has in studies shown to be enough to build muscle but disregarding old articles on T-nation I’d say you’d find that the average protein recommendation (again, when gaining weight) would be ~1g/lbs.

If you are a person that eats mostly meat/protein powder for your protein intake, and hit 1g/lbs when tallying up your macros you are in effect somewhere in that 0.8-1.0g range as protein from other sources is not equally available for your body to utilise.

Depends on how much you weigh :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

69 kilo/70 more now, so i take 1,7 all of the time since a long time, 0,8 or seems really low Oo
i eat powder since 1 week in my life, but a little before to sleep, all of my intake are “natural”

1 Like

You weigh 70 kg and eat 262 g of protein a day? 1.7 g/lb is 3.75 g/kg. Seems like overkill.

Oh my God, it doesn’t matter. The higher your caloric intake is (meaning on a bulk) the lower on prot you can go, and the opposite applies.

1 Like

70x2 140g protein mnben87 ^^

okokok

Moderate to High Intensity

You’re pushing yourself to build muscle, gain strength, and/or lose fat. You need 1 gram of protein per pound of body weight per day.

Goal weight Grams per pound Grams per day Grams per meal
195 1.0 195 32.5

thank allberg so i will use 1g of protein, i will save money like that, did u take only the protein by meet ?

i really was thinking that 1,7 was good, i heard a lot of time that we need to take 1,5/2 g protein

i will definetly increase the vegetable and fruits, i see a good video about that too
i was stupid to eat so much protein damn, i will change completely my diete, and post here when that will be ready, thank

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRvLDMn0ZyY

This isn’t that complicated, you already have figures: 1.25/1.5g per LB of bw at 70kg (154lbs) that’s approximately 193-231g of protein. 140 isn’t that much, I’d up it regardless of goals, at the end of the day it won’t matter if you get too much, it will matter if you get too little.

Adjust for your calorie needs based on fat/carbs whichever you prefer and eat healthy sensible foods, repeat until you get the desired results (if you aren’t getting the desired results track your food and check you are eating the quantity and quality you think you are).

This article is based on studies done within the past 3 years or so: (@Voxel)

1 Like

how did u calcul that ? 70kilo x 1,25 per kilo = 87 gram of protein per day so actually i eat 140 g prot per day it is to much if i change the g of protein per day and choice 1g
If a reduce the total protein per day i can eat more vegetable and fruits, meet it is the more expansive if u eat good quality meet

When i will get a phone a i will make a good plan of my diete, like that i can follow if i get good results

punny your article is interesting

Robert Morton, a Canadian exercise scientist from McMaster University, did just that. He compiled 49 protein studies comprising 1,863 men and women who’d been lifting weights between 6 and 52 weeks. While no study, meta or not, is definitive, this one begs to be taken seriously based on size if nothing else.

Morton found a distinct relationship between total protein intake and fat-free mass (muscle). He also found that dietary protein supplementation significantly increased one-rep maxes and cross-sectional muscle-fiber area (muscles got bigger).

No real surprises there, but his statistics did show that protein intake beyond 1.62 grams/kilogram didn’t result in any further resistance-training related increases in fat-free mass. That means that 1.62 grams/kilogram might be what we should all strive for to maximize our muscle-building efforts

so i was ok, but of course that depend of the person, just that take a bit the time to check and test

Read my text again, - the text you quoted was in pounds (lbs), 1.25-1.5 grams per pound of bodyweight, as was my calculation (70kg is about 154lbs so 154 x 1.25 = 192.5g).

You sound like your really overthinking this, hence my eat more protein, I wouldn’t even count fruit and veg in your diet (unless you need to be ultra strict i.e. contest prep) you shouldn’t be thinking that you can’t eat more veg because you’ve eaten 200g+ protein, most veg will have virtually no impact on you (just the positives of general health).

If you need help with macros or diet post up goals and current weight and body composition.

1 Like

Random thought: everything talks in terms of grams of protein per unit of body weight, which undoubtedly matters. I’ve got to think, however, that there are some absolute numbers. We already think in terms of absolute leucine in a serving to stimulate maximum protein synthesis.

I don’t have any deeper thoughts or recommendations, just something I’ve been mulling over.

This has all the warning signs of being one of “those” threads. OP, stop majoring in the minors, get off the boards except to log your workouts, and, like, actually spend time in the gym.

I just threw up the link to the article because it was recent, imo right on the money, and relevant to the title of the thread.

Thanks @Voxel and @punnyguy for those articles. That’s been just one area where there are x number of experts with x+1 number of opinions. I’ve been going with .8 and that seems to work, but I’m always mixing and drinking shakes to keep up.

How do you get in all that protein plus healthy foods? Does your stomach adjust to eating more when you start lifting?

Cut out the other crap. Sad, but true

You may be on to something here. I did a 12-week training program with a well-known and widely-respected online trainer who told me he sets protein intake at 240g/d for all adult males.

1 Like

One simplification I’ve always wondered about is protein needs throughout the day. To be abundantly clear, what I mean is (hypothetically for easy maths) imagine a wee 160lbs lad - > 160g protein spread across the four “meals” (40g/meal).

Each of those would probably be rich enough in leucine to spark some MPS. But, piggybacking off of the logic that protein needs around a workout are more pronounced wouldn’t there be room for more protein in the morning (breakfast) seeing as blood amino acid levels are at their lowest…?

Anyway, to get back to OP, @punnyguy had it right when he wrote,

Workout hard and have something that predominantly contains protein with every meal. Add in some protein powder during/after your workout and you’ll meet your protein requirement.

Despite the lockdown and the resulting boredom, I cannot motivate myself to contribute to the ‘1.25 or 1.5g’ discussion. However, the topic of protein consumption is nonetheless an interesting one.

From my review of the literature, combined with personal experience, there is a wide spectrum showing intake can be manipulated to optimise MPS. For example, a protein sparing modified fast can put you on something like 250g PRO per day, and not much else, and it is still possible to gain, or at least retain, LBM. At the other end of the spectrum, you can certainly fast and then induce hyperaminoacidemia by ingesting a modest amount of protein, e.g. 12-15g of hydrolysed casein. Using the latter example, x4 such pulses a day would equate to 48-60g PRO per day.

As mentioned, I have experimented with most approaches and both of the above can certainly work. Given I am more into prolonged fasting these days, I believe it makes you more ‘protein sensitive’ if there is such a term, especially when using quality protein sources, e.g. hydrolysed casein around workouts; red meat and organ meat at meal times for optimum nutrient density. Although not counting macros, due to prolonged fasts (48 and 72 hours), I’ve been eating 3-4 times a week recently. This probably equates to 200-250g PRO per sitting or 600/800 - 750/1000g PRO per week. This is obviously quite a bit under weekly totals of standard bro consumption.

1 Like

right just i know that meet it is expansive so for the moment i try to find a good balance,
u are right, i was confus, yeah somethime i overthink, it is a particular kind of my mind aha

yeah like i says i just wait to get a phone for the macros and diet _

thank all of u for the answer, i understand a bit more