1,000 Pound Bench Has Been Done

Hey Guys,

They are saying that the 1,000 pound mark has fallen in the bench press. Just thought I’d put that here for your info.

Max

By whom?

Gene Rychlak

In competition?

I heard it was 1005 in competition

Congrats to gene rychlak- that is, needless to say, truly a phenomenal lift. However, i think that the fact that it has gotten to the point where the biggest bench is so much greater than the biggest pull (1005lbs vs 932lbs) is more than a little ridiculous. the whole bench shirt thing has gotten out of hand.

Stories of guys trying over 700 lbs. AND THEY CAN’T TOUCH THE BAR TO THEIR CHEST…

[quote]bigjoey wrote:
Congrats to gene rychlak- that is, needless to say, truly a phenomenal lift. However, i think that the fact that it has gotten to the point where the biggest bench is so much greater than the biggest pull (1005lbs vs 932lbs) is more than a little ridiculous. the whole bench shirt thing has gotten out of hand.[/quote]

Bigjoey,

What kind of shirt do you use? What federation do you lift in?

Brian Whiddon

Well…

If those are the rules in competition…

Even with shirts giving that support it’s still a truly amazing amount of weight.

Like it or not (using shirts) it’s very impressive.

Makes me feel my 300lbs raw is pathetic ;-(

Can you guys BELIEVE Lance Armstrong’s new bike!!! Man, it is ridiculous. He couldn’t ride that fast on his old Huffy like we did, “back in the day” when when we rode REAL bikes… Man, the technology thing is really ruining sports by allowing athletes to perform better, isn’t it!

Before this gets out of hand and becomes a raw vs equipment discussion:

1005 pounds is crazy. Very impressive.

I will personally choose to liftin the IPF once I start competing (next spring maybe).

The equipment rules are strict. Judging is very strict on depth and bench technique (pause, even lockout, control, bar placement -no belly benching).
That is my preference.
Others may prefer other federations with no drug testing, unlimitid gear etc. Whatever suits the individual tastes best.

One important item though:

Equipment is great for lifters as at protects the joints. Benchsirts help protect the shoulder, squat suits/briefs the hips, Belt’s the lower back and wraps the knees. This allows longer careers and more enjoyment of the sport for the lifters.

If you don’t train for powerlifting you havn’t felt the stress of lifting on your joints and you will never know what it does.

Bodybuilding is wayy easier on the joints.

Regards Poul

[quote]Scott613 wrote:
Can you guys BELIEVE Lance Armstrong’s new bike!!! Man, it is ridiculous. He couldn’t ride that fast on his old Huffy like we did, “back in the day” when when we rode REAL bikes… Man, the technology thing is really ruining sports by allowing athletes to perform better, isn’t it![/quote]

LOL, can you believe the highjump? With the invention of foam matresses the highjump technique has evolved into a bastardized nonfunctional technique called “the Fosbury flop”. No one could ever do that in real life…
Ridiculous :wink:

the bike is part of the event, you cannot compete in bike riding without a bike, but you can bench press without a shirt. there is a difference

but its still impressive

Having been involved in a “raw” vs. “gear” spat before I’m not looking to do it again. Yes, Big Joey brought up the gear issue but he also offered his congrats to Rychalak (sp.?). So, let’s cool it guys. I don’t think Big Joey’s intent is to diminish Rychalak as an athlete.

Lifters are free to train and/or compete in the manner they choose and many options in that regard are available.

You know what, though I am not a big fan of the gear, I have to admit that it is one hell of a feat, so congrats to him on doing what was once thought was impossible even WITH the gear. I’m sure his bench is still impressive without the garb since their are people who use shirts to bench only 350.

what federation was this in and what type of shirt did he use a triple denim?

He did it at an IPA competition using his double poly Inzer Phenom. He has custom alterations done to it to get as much out of it as possible. 1,005 is amazing.

I’d like to see the deadlift numbers catch up.

Has a video been released? I really want to see his 1k bench. This is absolutely INSANE!!!

The 1005 pound lift was a SQUAT.

He did bench 965. Still very impressive

Here is the link to his web site.

http://rychlakpowersystems.com/index.htm

Please forgive me…he benched 975.